2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thoughts on multi-port injectors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 AM
bdiscnram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on multi-port injectors.

Just throwing this out there so see what your guys thoughts or opinions are on multi-port vs single port injectors. Are they worth the extra money. Do they really give you up to another mpg. I just ordered the Hughes plenum kit and figured id do the injectors as long as i was in there. any feedback or better brand of injector would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
B

Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I always thought multiport injection meant theres an injector for each port vs throttle body injection where thers one or two injectors spraying into the throttle body like many 80's chevy trucks and my 84 vette...

Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I always thought multiport injection meant theres an injector for each port vs throttle body injection where thers one or two injectors spraying into the throttle body like many 80's chevy trucks and my 84 vette...
Me too.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

The best thing you can do for mpg besides making sure everything works in your drivetrain properly is either pull the lift kit and go back to stock tire size or install 4.10 gears to match your 33's especially if you have 3.55 gears now. (3.92 isnt so bad with 33's) mismatched gears are the biggest contributor to poor gas mileage you could possible do... Its expensive to change the gears to match tires but its the only way to reduce the load on the engine and tranny back to stock levels and increase the power transfered to the ground, reducing the amount of wasted fuel you would be consuming without them...

Changing to a different brand of injectors isnt going to do anything... only if you had a better flowing built up engine to utilize bigger injectors.... You would still get better results from the gears.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-25-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM
bdiscnram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the truck is running completely stock all around right now getting 7-8 mpg which is half of what i should be getting. so im just trying to dot all my t's and cross my I's. lol to get the milage back up to where its supposed to be before i dive into upgrading the engine, suspension, lift, and gears. its one thing to get that milage when the truck is all modded out but stock esp with alot of hwy driving is just unacceptable. so ill stick with the OEM injectors. thanks guys.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by bdiscnram
yeah the truck is running completely stock all around right now getting 7-8 mpg which is half of what i should be getting. so im just trying to dot all my t's and cross my I's. lol to get the milage back up to where its supposed to be before i dive into upgrading the engine, suspension, lift, and gears. its one thing to get that milage when the truck is all modded out but stock esp with alot of hwy driving is just unacceptable. so ill stick with the OEM injectors. thanks guys.
you have 33" tires but stock gears... that means your truck is not going to perform as good as stock in the power and mpg dept..lift or no lift once you change the size of your tires you change the gearing ratios and load on your engine... the right way to put larger tires without negative effects on the performance is to put the gears that match (or close to it) in when changing your tire size... I'm shocked at how many people dont understand this and how it effects things.
And you already have multiport injection...all dodge ram magnum engines have it...I explained the difference above.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

I think he is more referring to the number of holes in the injectors, that actually spray fuel. Stockers only have one. Others have more..... The idea behind our single hole injectors is, it shoots the stream right at the back side of the toasty warm intake valve. The heat vaporizes the fuel, and puts it into a state that will actually burn. I don't know if multi hole injectors are really that much of an 'upgrade' on our trucks.....

Quick Reply: Thoughts on multi-port injectors.