2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Fireangel30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission?

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 L 4x4 truck. I replaced the u joint if the front of the truck a month and a half ago. Two days ago I was driving home and started hearing what sounded like a chain being ran through a grinder coming from the front of my truck. Turned the corner and pressed on the gas and the truck hesitated and then slammed into gear. When the truck is in park and running this noise is not there, but as soon as you put it into gear it is back loud and clear. The fluid levels are where they need to be. Any ideas on what it may be??? I was told it was more then likely the transmission was fried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
bjr1a
Professional

Will this truck actually lock in Park? ...If park does function then that should rule out a problem in the transfer case or drivetrain.....All that would leave is some exploded planets inside the transmission.....

Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Aboard Fireangel30! Don't forget to browse Sub-Forums: 2nd Gen Ram (1994-2002) for stuff related to your ride.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Fireangel30

It stays in park and shifts into all the other gears fine when you are stepping on the brake. It just makes the grinding noise. When u are driving it it makes the noise and ot hesitates before it will shift gears.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I'm going to move your post to the 2nd Gen Ram section, There is a member name monte C that is real good with transmissions. It may take a day or two to get an answer or within mins.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
bjr1a
Professional

Lets look at this a little deeper....If park will hold the truck in place that rules out a problem in the rear of transmission to the rear wheels....Now when you place the gear selector in a driving position, then the noise develops..By placing gear selector in any movement position the trans should not be rotating internally at a stop , so there would be no way of it making a mechanical noise until it starts rotating...Lets assume all is working internally, the only mechanical rotating part would be the torque converter..It sure isn't uncommon to see an exploded converter in these rigs....If converter has not failed then when you place gear selector in a moving range, then the converter is driving the input shaft and you hearing the remants of rotating parts that should not be rotating at a stop... I would remove pan and look for debri that I suspect you will find....

Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireangel30
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 L 4x4 truck. I replaced the u joint if the front of the truck a month and a half ago. Two days ago I was driving home and started hearing what sounded like a chain being ran through a grinder coming from the front of my truck. Turned the corner and pressed on the gas and the truck hesitated and then slammed into gear. When the truck is in park and running this noise is not there, but as soon as you put it into gear it is back loud and clear. The fluid levels are where they need to be. Any ideas on what it may be??? I was told it was more then likely the transmission was fried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like it could be a transfer case problem to me.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17
Sounds like it could be a transfer case problem to me.
+ 1 on this. started hearing what sounded like a chain being ran through a grinder .
Transfer case is chain driven.

Dave

Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
bjr1a
Professional

Not exactly sure which transfer case is used in this truck but I am thinking that there is no power is going through the transfer case chain in the 2WD position....Best of my knowledge this 1500 should have a new process 231 type TCase.... Also if the output of trans is rotating what would occur is a horiffic grinding noise when attempting to place gear selector in park....When I am saying "holding in park", I do not mean simply the engagement into the position, but actually capable of holding the vehicle stationary .....Now I do remember some New process transfer cases having a snap ring in the rear output shaft that would break causing a terrible noise in gear and instant no movement .....it was an easy fix by simply removing the bolts on the transfer case extension housing and replacing the snap ring...I seen it far more on GM than Dodge but when the snap ring broke it would let the transfer case output shaft move out of position and it would grind like crazy

Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Fireangel30

Thank you all for the advice and thoughts on this. I ended up taking it in and had to have the transmission rebuilt. From what the guy told me was that the gears had been broken or shaved off? not sure on how that happens. I dont know much about transmissions or transfer cases. Now that it has been rebuilt it seems to run pretty good. There are a few other problems with it and I am hoping I can figure out what they are with out having to throw another 3000 into it. I would rather throw that money into up grades on it but right now it seems to be telling me it needs tlc first and then fun later.

Thank you all again!

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission?