2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Evap leak?? Plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap leak?? Plenum?

Okay so last summer my engine light came out, turned out to be a small evap leak somewhere, never worried about it, 6 months ago light went off, came back on 2 weeks ago, scanned it.......evap "large leak" , was going to have a shop smoke it for 60 bucks but this morning the light went off......i have checked mostly off the vac lines.... i know i posted about my plenum awhile ago with pics and it had some black residue but no pooling i could see...could this C.E.L be on because of the plenum?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Nope. Evap system captures evaporating fuel out of the tank, stores it in a charcoal canister, and then routes it to the intake at various times while the engine is actually running. Something as simple as the gas cap being loose can set codes.....

On your truck, canister is behind the passengers seat, under the cab. The hose like to dry rot, and crack, which will give you leaks, which then set codes. Check all the lines front to back, see what you find. (and make sure the gas cap is good, and on tight.)

Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

lol poor plenum gets blamed for everything....

Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
DogeRamGuy1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nope. Evap system captures evaporating fuel out of the tank, stores it in a charcoal canister, and then routes it to the intake at various times while the engine is actually running. Something as simple as the gas cap being loose can set codes.....

On your truck, canister is behind the passengers seat, under the cab. The hose like to dry rot, and crack, which will give you leaks, which then set codes. Check all the lines front to back, see what you find. (and make sure the gas cap is good, and on tight.)
okay i will have to check that, btw do you know where all of the vac lines and canister under the hood mount too? i think the P.O lost the bracket or something because everything is just hanging there.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section here, it will have pics showing where everything is.

Quick Reply: Evap leak?? Plenum?