2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got into a wreck. Have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 PM
trae08
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got into a wreck. Have a question.

Bent the a/c thing my transmission cooler and busted my radiator. The hard plastic around the a/c condenser? is what stabbed into my radiator and caused all the coolant drain. So i went to the junk yard and got a used rad and fan shroud. Both are covered in oily grim. Im going to have to soak them in mineral spirits to clean them. then flush the rad before i install it.

Anyway my main question is about the tranny warmer inside the rad. What do i do to flush that? and is there a way to pressure test it to make sure it isnt compromised? Id really love to install a series of valves so that in the summer i can bypass it and in the winter go back to using it.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Ram_King
Professional

no, you have that backwards. its a tranny cooler, you want it for the summer. just go buy a new one and save yourself the hassle

Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram_King
no, you have that backwards. its a tranny cooler, you want it for the summer. just go buy a new one and save yourself the hassle
The stock tranny cooler does warm the tranny fluid, but the OP does have it backwards....He does not want to bypass it in the summer and if he lives in a cold climate, not the winter either.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 AM
trae08
Rookie

I dont have it backwards. There is the transmission cooler and then there is the one inside the radiator that warms the fluid up. in the summer i would want to bypass that one inside of the radiator and just use the cooler that is standalone. but all that is for another time. In the warmer climates the in rad cooler isn't needed. but in the colder climates the hot antifreeze stops the tranny fluid from getting to cold.

My main question is how do i flush the tranny cooler that goes into the rad. i cannot afford new one. if you still dont know what im talking about take a look at this.
This guy is detailing a failure all i want to do is know how to flush the tranny cooler inside the radiator.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-2001...or-w-pics.html

Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

The one in the radiator is indeed a cooler...... sure, there are circumstances where it is actually warming the fluid, but, still, it's a cooler nonetheless.

Flush it with any flavor of solvent. Mineral spirits, kerosene, brake cleaner, etc. Blow it out with compressed air. (don't restrict the ports when you are doing that though.... as I am not entirely sure just what pressure it is designed to withstand. I know it ain't real high though.)

Old 01-28-2012, 11:14 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a canned tranny coolant flush = check OReiley's. About $12 a can. Pretty good stuff. hoe will fit onto connectors and fluch it. make sure you are disconnected from coolant lines, and drain it out. I think ther eis a picture of the can from rocky_mtn in my tranny thread. He put me onto this stuff.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by gdstock
hoe will fit onto connectors and fluch it.
+1....

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
There is a canned tranny coolant flush = check OReiley's. About $12 a can. Pretty good stuff. hoe will fit onto connectors and fluch it. make sure you are disconnected from coolant lines, and drain it out. I think ther eis a picture of the can from rocky_mtn in my tranny thread. He put me onto this stuff.
Gonna have prostitutes do the work????

Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

And when she's done, "she will love you long time". LOL

Quick Reply: Got into a wreck. Have a question.