2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'01 exhaust replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
I missed it too... thought the '01 Y was restrictive too.. If that's the case I can abandon my plans for world domination..., I mean move onto the rest of the exhaust....

Well yea, if you compare it to the offroad Y(with no cat) that's available ONLY up to 99 IIRC.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, thanks. And i have seen that picture numerous times in the past year or so, but I guess I thought even that stock section was more restrictive than the offroad y-pipe that ive looked at, on summit/ jegs a hundred times. Suppose I was just assuming. Any benefit from the pacesetter y-pipe for 2000-2001 then? (part: 82-1183 - PaceSetter Off-Road Y-Pipes).

Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Tparkin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Get the correct replacement cat, hold it up there and mark and cut the pipes to the correct length. The worst that can happen is you'll need an adapter. But the front of the cat should be the correct size, and the rear for that matter. That's why they sell the replacements.
So, just to clarify...by replacement cat you are referring to the full y-pipe and cat combo...or do you mean cut the collector and use a 2in 1 out cat? The full Y-pipe combo is the only "direct replacement" that I can find and the solution that I was trying to avoid due to the expense. If that's my only option, I guess it is what it is...

Additionally, it seems as if there are different part numbers between the replacement cat for a 3.9 and a 5.9. Is there an actual difference in the fit? If so, what is different. The reason I ask is that there is no real need in me replacing the "3.9" exhaust if it isn't going to bolt up to the 5.9

Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tparkin
So, just to clarify...by replacement cat you are referring to the full y-pipe and cat combo...or do you mean cut the collector and use a 2in 1 out cat? The full Y-pipe combo is the only "direct replacement" that I can find and the solution that I was trying to avoid due to the expense. If that's my only option, I guess it is what it is...

Additionally, it seems as if there are different part numbers between the replacement cat for a 3.9 and a 5.9. Is there an actual difference in the fit? If so, what is different. The reason I ask is that there is no real need in me replacing the "3.9" exhaust if it isn't going to bolt up to the 5.9
As far as I know it's NOT a 2 into the cat. It's a Y into a 3" pipe then the cat. I believe this is what you want. But search around the net and ask your local muffler shop for prices.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...niversal=51019

Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

The exhaust manifolds on the 00, and 01 models are the same as the earlier ones are they not? Seems to me, The off road pipe is a 2.5" piece, and may not extend as far as the 3" pipe on the newer exhaust systems? Picking up the o/r y pipe, a SI/SO cat, and a short piece of 2.5" pipe, with the ends expanded for slip fit, and it should bolt right in?

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: '01 exhaust replacement