2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission leaking questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 PM
jgriner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leaking questions

98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

My transmission has been leaking for some time, I have always just topped it off. Last time I topped it off, it was just poring out. I believe it leaks somewhere from the bell housing. As far as i can tell the leak is the only problem. My biggest concern is that I bought a boat last year, and during the summer I pull it back and forth to the lake every other weekend.

Today I talked to a transmission guy, he says in my truck their is 3 different options for trans. He said it could run from 300-500 dollars to replace the seals, But the biggest problems is all the hidden problems that he might find.

He doesn't rebuild transmissions any more, but could do the seals for me, but he does install jasper transmissions.

What should, I do?

Does 300-500 dollars sounds like a normal starting point?

I had a horrible experince with my last truck with a local trans rebuild, but would think a factory rebuilt or jasper would be ok?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Either the pump, or the Torque converter seal. If it leaks in park, its the pump. You might be able to get away with just re-sealing it, but, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Given that you tow with it, a rebuild might not be such a bad idea. Granted, it's more expensive.... but, why pay labor to R&R the trans twice? I think just re-sealing will be a bandaid fix, and won't last more than a couple months, at best.

These transmissions were weak to begin with. Torque converters and O/D units being inadequate to the task.

Jasper are hit and miss. Some of them are fine. Others... not so much so. Warranty/customer service isn't too bad though, provided you have the trans installed by a 'real' shop. Not just some guy in his garage, regardless of how much experience he has. There are other rebuilders out there in the world as well. PATC makes some REALLY nice trannies, but, you pay for that 'nice' too.... but, with the PATC, replace it once, and forget about it.

Welcome to DF.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Either the pump, or the Torque converter seal. If it leaks in park, its the pump. You might be able to get away with just re-sealing it, but, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Given that you tow with it, a rebuild might not be such a bad idea. Granted, it's more expensive.... but, why pay labor to R&R the trans twice? I think just re-sealing will be a bandaid fix, and won't last more than a couple months, at best.

These transmissions were weak to begin with. Torque converters and O/D units being inadequate to the task.

Jasper are hit and miss. Some of them are fine. Others... not so much so. Warranty/customer service isn't too bad though, provided you have the trans installed by a 'real' shop. Not just some guy in his garage, regardless of how much experience he has. There are other rebuilders out there in the world as well. PATC makes some REALLY nice trannies, but, you pay for that 'nice' too.... but, with the PATC, replace it once, and forget about it.

Welcome to DF.
I'm with HeyYou $300 to $500 to replace an $1.77 seal?
For every reason he listed above have it rebuilt.
If the pump bushing is bad replacing seal doesn't do any good.
Rebuilt pump $151.00. Prices from http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com.

Dave

Quick Reply: Transmission leaking questions