2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what do our trucks like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ ah haell yeah!!!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Dont expect any more hp or torque from the expensive tuneup parts like wires cap rotor or plugs...
The truth has been spoken! Also, don't expect any benefit from high zoot coils unless you're actually taxing the stock ignition in some way, which most of us just ain't doin'. If you're not blowing well past the factory rev limit or knocking around at high elevation, just leave the damn ignition unmodified. It'll do what needs doing.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 AM
mike.97.2500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so wow i totally sparked a little heated discussion but i figured this kinda would so first off i have thought about doing a cam but wont for ahile do to the fact that most motors iv looked at have a warranty on them and they would be voided if i drop in a cam so a future mod yes but not now. as for plugs and wires i know im not gonna gain anything special from that i just really want to get away from the stock issues it has and more or less be able to forget about it thats wh i was looking for advice on that stuff maybe i was thinking wrong but i just figured msd is a big name yes they cost more than others but maybe ill get what i pay for and be able to forget about the problems.

i do live in high altitude im in colorado springs co i think we sit somewhere around 6,xxx somethin so altitude is something for me to consider.

i have considered all kinds of stuff and intake, fuel, spark and exhaust are all being redone. i was hoping people would just know what was the best to use for those upgrades i know alot is preference but hopefully some info on what has been used and works good.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Instead of me posting a huge list of parts have a look at the link, I have zero compants about any of the parts listed, if you need part numbers I can post those for you just ask.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/garage/...merc225hp.html

There is a diy area with polls in it for what some are using for parts you might want to have a look there as well.

Sorry your thread took a turn for the bad.

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-07-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
The dice add plenty of power, but I will say , the HS 1.7's added a little more.

zman! Gotta have the HS rockers, the fuzzy dice, AND Name:  hula.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  11.5 KB

Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 AM
mj23polaris
Professional

Booooost!!!!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.97.2500
i do live in high altitude im in colorado springs co i think we sit somewhere around 6,xxx somethin so altitude is something for me to consider.
I was thinking more Leadville or Trail Ridge Road than the Front Range when I said "high elevation". If you're not seeing misfires at those elevations then you don't have a problem. If you do get misfires it'll likely be at very high elevation on hot days when asking the engine to work at low RPM, which is when you'll have a thin, wispy mix that isn't well atomized. The fix for that is a system that'll let you crack your plug gaps out beyond .050", and of course plugs that aren't bent out of shape to get there.

That said, I did upgrade my ignition so I can run expensivum plugs with huge gaps, both for high elevation (>10,000') and to get my tune up interval out to 80,000+. I took the approach of getting one great big mufker of a spark rather than several little ones -- the plugs last longer that way, if nothing else. YMMV.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
What e-fan would equate to RRs, because I'd like to know.

Let's say an e-fan setup is $150 as that is one you hack together, like ford fan from JY, get the controller for cheap, so now its $200 for a cam? What cam would that get you?

my efan set up is from a 01 jeep grand cherokee and was only 50 buck, i already ahd the stuff to wire it up. and it keeps my motor plenty cool

Originally Posted by 2x1972
That and Fuzzy Dice.
everybody knows that fuzzy dice add like 500 hp and 600 lb-ft

op if you want lots of power build yourself a supercharged 408 stroker...yea its pricey but itd be wayyyyyyyyyyy worth it

Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.97.2500
so wow i totally sparked a little heated discussion but i figured this kinda would so first off i have thought about doing a cam but wont for ahile do to the fact that most motors iv looked at have a warranty on them and they would be voided if i drop in a cam so a future mod yes but not now. as for plugs and wires i know im not gonna gain anything special from that i just really want to get away from the stock issues it has and more or less be able to forget about it thats wh i was looking for advice on that stuff maybe i was thinking wrong but i just figured msd is a big name yes they cost more than others but maybe ill get what i pay for and be able to forget about the problems.

i have considered all kinds of stuff and intake, fuel, spark and exhaust are all being redone. i was hoping people would just know what was the best to use for those upgrades i know alot is preference but hopefully some info on what has been used and works good.
I member here, ("CMCKENNA" I believe it was) who is very thorough in testing actually tested a bunch of various wires from different brands such as "MSD" he posted the results and I (As well as him) were surprised at how poorly the MSD wires actually tested against others including much cheaper wires... I will see if I can dig up the thread.

Here is is...https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...k-wires-2.html

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mj23polaris
Booooost!!!!
^this

Quick Reply: what do our trucks like?