2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what do our trucks like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:16 PM
mike.97.2500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do our trucks like?

ok so here in the next month ill be getting a remand block and heads from where not sure yet still loooking for the best prices and places but the money is together and my old motor is on its last leg so its time. i would really like to upgrade as much as possible to squeez out as much power from the new motor without doing cam or anything else.

so what im wanting is as much info you all can give me on various parts like fuel injectors, plugs, wires, coils and so on. what have you used and wht works great and what just sucks. any suggestions on new sensors or parts to replace while im doing the swap would be great.

iv had the plenum blow before (who hasnt lol) and already top of my list is hughs plenum.

im very interested in any info on electric fan conversion also iv looked at the tcp kit and kinda like that but is there other options that are as complete as that and work good?

iv looked and thought about going with msd for coil wires and cap and rotor but do our trucks like them?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it works no need to replace . All the sensors are fine except I'd get new NTK o2's and get a magnaflow direct replacement cat(includes Y pipe) . No need for new injectors. Send yours out and have them cleaned/tested while you work on the motor. Stay with a stock coil, and use regular old Champion or Autolite copper plugs. Wire's? get a descent brand like SMP and you won't even have to route them as per TSB, of course it can't hurt. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

As fare as E fans go, there are plenty of threads here on DF that will give you the info you are looking for.

There is tons more stuff, but you should really do a search here on DF. Like try searching "more power" and things like that. I'm sure others will chime in for more info.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 PM
mccart
Veteran

Do some 1.7 rockers, id do a m1 intake if you could (mancini racing has them for $320), or mod your intake. Big gulp throttle body. Double roller timing set.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
GTXpress
Professional

Get you some hughes parts and order the tuner from them so you can get a performance, towing, and the stock setting. I guess a table or something says the rockers give 20HP? I seen a link in a post once but I didnt look at the table. Unless you have everything else done the rockers arent going to help you as much as they could. You could put that money towards some other things and get more torque or something like that.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mccart
Do some 1.7 rockers, id do a m1 intake if you could (mancini racing has them for $320), or mod your intake. Big gulp throttle body. Double roller timing set.
That is for a non mpi 4bbl intake, not the right one. $319
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/sinplanmag52.html

This is the right one for a bolt on mpi non egr M1 intake. $474

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/newmagsinpla3.html

Edit: Link to info and dyno sheet for what 1.7 roller rockers do for a magnum motor.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/h...#ixzz1l0aFo8qK

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-05-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 AM
GTXpress
Professional

So are the rockers even worth it? Those kinds of gains could be bigger or better used if other things were done before the rockers were installed.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by GTXpress
So are the rockers even worth it? Those kinds of gains could be bigger or better used if other things were done before the rockers were installed.
In my op yes they are worth it just for the paristic drag loss alone, a freer turning motor is a more efficient motor. Mine cost way more than the Harland sharp, but I can adjust mine so to me it was worth for that reason alone.

Mopar Roller's

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-05-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 AM
GTXpress
Professional

But what I am saying is if you put the rockers on a stock engine, you arent really gaining anything to speak of. You arent creating any more friction to the stock rockers. You could put headers or something like that on, or port/gasket match the heads or something. Then you would be making more use of the mod I guess. To each their own I guess.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by GTXpress
But what I am saying is if you put the rockers on a stock engine, you arent really gaining anything to speak of. You arent creating any more friction to the stock rockers. You could put headers or something like that on, or port/gasket match the heads or something. Then you would be making more use of the mod I guess. To each their own I guess.
By going to the roller rockers you are removing the parisitic drag that the stock ball and socket rockers create, so yes there is a gain to be had on a stock motor. You get ride of any friction and there is a gain to be had, simple.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 AM
GTXpress
Professional

There are plenty of other things to do to the engine for 350 that will make way bigger gains then roller rockers. You could probably get the same gain by going to an electric fan, and still have money for a cam.

What are you adjusting on your rockers?

Last edited by GTXpress; 02-05-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Quick Reply: what do our trucks like?