2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dry oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012 | 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
I've actually read articles that state that they noticed most of the wear occurring the first 3000 miles after an oil change.

Changing your air filter more often also isn't better for your motor, despite popular belief.

Without oil samples you're really shooting in the dark and the conventional wisdom ain't worth jack.
I would like to see some of those articles.... That just doesn't seem to be quite right to me.

Most engine wear occurs at startup. Regardless of if the oil is new, or, has been in there for 5000 miles. Given that dino oils in older motors pick up a fair amount of crap, I find it difficult to swallow that after 3000 miles, wear would decrease....... that flies in the face of logic. (not that logic has ever had much to do with it..... )

Depending on what air filter you have.... they actually FILTER better the dirtier they get, of course, the lose flow as well.

Old 02-06-2012 | 10:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

royal purple motor oil looks like it would be good for the engine even on a cold start. the only thing that is stopping me from trying the stuff is that it would cost $100 just for the oil. that does not even include a filter. not quite sure where i would get a royal purple filter or what it would cost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEFGJqpCMY

Old 02-06-2012 | 11:55 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would like to see some of those articles.... That just doesn't seem to be quite right to me.

Most engine wear occurs at startup. Regardless of if the oil is new, or, has been in there for 5000 miles. Given that dino oils in older motors pick up a fair amount of crap, I find it difficult to swallow that after 3000 miles, wear would decrease....... that flies in the face of logic. (not that logic has ever had much to do with it..... )

Depending on what air filter you have.... they actually FILTER better the dirtier they get, of course, the lose flow as well.
Doesn't really seem to make sense to me either. I know about the air filters filtering better though lol. I dug around and was able to find this.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

Interesting read. In reference to the SAE technical paper I guess you have to pay to read it. This was about the only quote I could find about it from someone who claims to have read it; post #2.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...gines-not-HELP!

I've had a few vehicles with over 300,000 miles on them using regular oil and 3k change intervals. I don't know how they were treated/maintained for the first 150k before I owned them but the last 150k+ that's what they got and treated me well .

Old 02-07-2012 | 07:59 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
royal purple motor oil looks like it would be good for the engine even on a cold start. the only thing that is stopping me from trying the stuff is that it would cost $100 just for the oil. that does not even include a filter. not quite sure where i would get a royal purple filter or what it would cost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEFGJqpCMY

Porsche is one of those who has extended oil changes to 15K since having switched to synthetic. With Royal Purple, I'll bet you could get two filter changes to each oil change (maybe more) and extend the oil changes to 25K miles.

The talk about 3K mile oil changes on cars older than 2002 is a giant crock of shiat. It's the oil that has changed, not the engines.

Old 02-07-2012 | 08:55 AM
drewactual
Champion

there was a conversation in the third gen section similar to this one not long ago..

I really don't know anything about it worth sharing, but it seems to me that the oil's lubricating properties may very well last to 15k miles nowadays... I wouldn't question that.. especially after changing my own oil for 30+ years.. the oil that comes out now after 3k miles still maintains it's viscosity- and other than being darker, still feels like oil.. 20 years ago, 3~5k miles between oil changes accounted for a black watery substance w/chunks of what feels like slime throughout.. it's been a long while since i've seen that..

however- it's not the oil i hold suspect.. it's all the crap held in suspension.. if that oil is doing the second part of it's job, which is keeping ash and particles in suspension- it's going to get contaminated is my thinking.. yeah, you can filter it out.. but a interesting thing happens to that oil- it starts to turn acidic with the infusion of ash.. that isn't good..

maybe i'm tossing money to the gods of Mopar, but I will continue to change my oil at 3k mile intervals.. maybe it's wrong/foolish- but it's the side of safe to do so.. some habits are hard to break..

Old 02-07-2012 | 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If dry starts are such a concern, instead of spending 100 plus bucks on an oil change... install an oil pre-lube system, that builds pressure BEFORE the engine starts turning.... MUCH cheaper in the long run.

Old 02-07-2012 | 05:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Porsche is doing it because they sell a lot of car's in California.

Old 02-07-2012 | 08:05 PM
townsley4
|
Veteran

I bought a mopar MO-090 oil filter in place of the fram. I'm gonna miss the sandpaper grip on the frams. The mopar was hard to tighted by hand when its slick from oil. How are mopar filters? I have noticed a decrease in a light ticking sound since I have installed the mopar filter. I don't know I'd that has anything to do with it or not, or if its just because of fresh oil. But anyway, I feel better driving knowing my oil will be filtering properly hopefully. Unless mopar filters are shiat to?

Old 02-07-2012 | 08:10 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by townsley4
I bought a mopar MO-090 oil filter in place of the fram. I'm gonna miss the sandpaper grip on the frams. The mopar was hard to tighted by hand when its slick from oil. How are mopar filters? I have noticed a decrease in a light ticking sound since I have installed the mopar filter. I don't know I'd that has anything to do with it or not, or if its just because of fresh oil. But anyway, I feel better driving knowing my oil will be filtering properly hopefully. Unless mopar filters are shiat to?
I'm using a Mopar filter, no issues so far, at least I hope not

Old 02-07-2012 | 10:38 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i would guess if your lifters are making a bit of noise it is from the fresh oil and the good filter. i am also guessing that you are running 10w30. 10w30 use to make the lifters in my truck talk more than i like. with 5w30 my lifters only talk for about a second and stop.

Quick Reply: dry oil filter