2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rearveiw mirrior ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rearveiw mirrior ?

So tonight a old guy in a 86 Nissan pick up . I back up into him in parking lot didn't see him hit his wheel well did some damage , nothuing to my truck . But the rear view mirror fell off . Tried advance auto repair kit . Didn't stick to window for crap . What can I do to get this back on . Any glue?

Peed off that my insurance company will have to fix a 86 pickup that has rust spot and such. First accident happy it wasn't worse

Sorry for sloppy typing I am using my phone

Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ive used the glue repair kits before with good results, probably from autozone. try another brand or another store.

be sure and clean the glass and remove the mirror from the anchor before glueing it on.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
ive used the glue repair kits before with good results, probably from autozone. try another brand or another store.

be sure and clean the glass and remove the mirror from the anchor before glueing it on.
+1. It won't hold worth a damn if you try and glue it on all together.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also use a razor blade to clean off all the old glue. I usually let the button sit for 30-45 minutes before attaching the mirror.

And be careful putting the mirror on, I don't know about these trucks, but most have a screw that you tighten to hold the mirror to the button. This is where I say be careful. I've over-tightened the screw before and ended up poping the button off the glass.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Unka-Boo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remove the mirror from the anchor before glueing it on
I can't tell you how many times I had to explain that to people when they would bring back their "defective" glue kit....

I don't miss retail parts...

Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

On the OUTSIDE of the window, use a marker to color in where the shoe is (was?) glued to the windshield.

On the INSIDE, scrape all the old glue off, and use some alcohol to clean the glass.

Use the glue kit to put the shoe back in place. Hold it up there with a piece of tape. I let 'em cure for a good 24 hours, just because I am like that......

Pull the tape, install the mirror. Should be golden.

On my firebird... when the interior mirror fell off..... I like the view out the windshield better, so, left it off. In michigan, the law says you have to have TWO rearview mirrors, it doesn't say WHERE they have to be....... Not like I could see much out the inside mirror in any event.....

Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the Loctite mirror adhesive kit. That's the only kind I've ever used, never had a prob with it. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/mec...r-Adhesive.htm

Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mirrior didn't come with a button I tried to just glue the morrow to the window lol Wtf I bought a universal mirror and threw the other one out

Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

In that case, I'd still get the Loctite stuff. clean and glue it, and hold it on there for 15 minutes or so with your hand. LOL

On a side note, if you'd like an OEM mirror (including a button), let me know.

It's just dust from being in the garage.

Name:  DSCF0737.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  116.4 KB

Last edited by zman17; 02-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: rearveiw mirrior ?