2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v10 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012 | 07:56 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2x1972
The computer will not talk with the tach from an auto for some reason. I have tried multiple clusters, with no success.
my 96 has a cluster out of an automatic in it and it works fine....clusters are the same from 94-97....

Old 02-12-2012 | 08:30 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by mrfarrell
my 96 has a cluster out of an automatic in it and it works fine....clusters are the same from 94-97....
The computer will not talk with the tach from an auto for some reason. I have tried multiple clusters, with no success.
I am aware that they are the same cluster. I have put probably 5 into my truck, and everything BUT the tach worked. I read somewhere that the auto cluster's tachs wouldn't communicate with a manual's PCM. So I figured that was my problem.

It's possible that it's just one more reason us OBD1 guys got shafted.

NuKle I very much appreciate the offer, but it seems I need to do more research. It's possible with OBD1 that I simply don't have the wire, since it wasn't equipped with the option.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 02-13-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2012 | 08:38 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

I am aware that they are the same cluster. I have put probably 5 into my truck, and everything BUT the tach worked. I read somewhere that the auto cluster's tachs wouldn't communicate with a manual's PCM. So I figured that was my problem.

It's possible that it's just one more reason us OBD1 guys got shafted.

NuKle I very much appreciate the offer, but it seems I need to do more research. It's possible with OBD1 that I simply don't have the wire, since it wasn't equipped with the option.

sucks to be you

Old 02-13-2012 | 11:50 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Yes, but at least I seem to be getting somewhere. I can always add the missing wire, and still run a factory tach.

Or just go the A pillar pod route

Quick Reply: v10 swap