2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to change out coil springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 09:08 PM
Tony G
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take a look in the service manual. Should be a good pic of it in there. Download links in the FAQ section.
Thanks, I looked it doesn't say anything about there being a rubber insulator on the bottom so I take it there isn't one. Just thought that it would make noise without one.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

There are parts manuals in the FAQ section as well.... kinda fun to navigate... but, they are there. I honestly don't know if there is one or not. It sure *seems* like there should be on though.....

Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 PM
Tony G
Amateur

Hi, yeah the problem I'm having is a noise like a shock squeak. But everything else on the front suspension has been replaced. Except for the coils. Figured that might be the noise. My truck doesnt have a rubber insulator on the bottom of the coil thought it would be better if it did or it was missing or got deteriorated my dad has had the truck since new so we were the only owners just never new if there was one or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony G
Hi, yeah the problem I'm having is a noise like a shock squeak. But everything else on the front suspension has been replaced. Except for the coils. Figured that might be the noise. My truck doesnt have a rubber insulator on the bottom of the coil thought it would be better if it did or it was missing or got deteriorated my dad has had the truck since new so we were the only owners just never new if there was one or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
There is not. Coils do sometimes have to be put in a certain way, that just depends on the brand. Check the nutton top of the shock, they usually come loose

Old 03-31-2020, 11:31 PM
Tony G
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
There is not. Coils do sometimes have to be put in a certain way, that just depends on the brand. Check the nutton top of the shock, they usually come loose
Thanks, I just put new Rancho rs9000 shocks a couple weeks ago hoping it was shocks that was making the noise. Didn't help. I just re torqued all the nuts and bolts also didnt help. The noise happens over light bumbs and changes in the road but doesn't always happen over every bump. Thanks. Also every other suspension part is new.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Thanks, I just put new Rancho rs9000 shocks a couple weeks ago hoping it was shocks that was making the noise. Didn't help. I just re torqued all the nuts and bolts also didnt help. The noise happens over light bumbs and changes in the road but doesn't always happen over every bump. Thanks. Also every other suspension part is new.
Only one size? Can you try to describe the sound? New control arms or bushings?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:22 AM
Tony G
Amateur

Hi, yes there new moog control arms with new bushings and bolts, the noise inside the cab sounds like high pitch hydraulic chirp outside the truck you can't replicate the noise by pushing the front up and down or side to side. Now it does it alot almost over everything even a little uneven road surface. But if the road is smooth and straight it doesn't make the noise.Thanks.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Hi, yes there new moog control arms with new bushings and bolts, the noise inside the cab sounds like high pitch hydraulic chirp outside the truck you can't replicate the noise by pushing the front up and down or side to side. Now it does it alot almost over everything even a little uneven road surface. But if the road is smooth and straight it doesn't make the noise.Thanks.
It might be body mounts

Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Tony G
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
It might be body mounts
how do I test to see if it is the body mounts. The rubber looks good on them.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

how do I test to see if it is the body mounts. The rubber looks good on them.
They could be over tightened or loose. But if you didn't touch them then I do not suspect them.

Quick Reply: how to change out coil springs?