2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

governor pressure sensor/solenoid replaced and bands tightened...shifting at 3k now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the reason for changing the sensor and solenoid to begin with? Was there an issue or just preventive maintenance for old parts?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaG
What was the reason for changing the sensor and solenoid to begin with? Was there an issue or just preventive maintenance for old parts?

Good example of keeping things in the same thread.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaG
well i noticed that the tranny was acting up where sometimes it would jerk around in first, long shift times, etc. so i took it to a guy and he hooked his machine up and before we drove it showed me what it was supposed to register. well it was all over the map so we decided to go ahead and replace them as well as tighten the bands and change the fluid filter.

Originally Posted by zman17
Probably not, if it wasn't touched previously. But I'd check it anyway. The factory adjustment can be found in this thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html

And if you wish to fool around with it any further, you can do so in this manner.

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...Adjustment.pdf
just boggles my mind that if it wasn't touched that it would change it in any manner

Last edited by blackbeasst; 02-08-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 PM
gdstock
Legend

TV cable can need adjusting for several reasons, including normal wear and tear, incidental slippin in bracket, and variations in wear in tranny.

Also, if speed sensor is not correct, it will effect shift points ad PCM controls this. Need to change it out and get rid of red light on dash. Eliminate any known problems that may mask other probvlems.....

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
TV cable can need adjusting for several reasons, including normal wear and tear, incidental slippin in bracket, and variations in wear in tranny.

Also, if speed sensor is not correct, it will effect shift points ad PCM controls this. Need to change it out and get rid of red light on dash. Eliminate any known problems that may mask other probvlems.....
yeah i guess i need to grab one. is it not odd that with the same bad speed sensor (supposedly), it should shift at the same points it did before we replaced the gov sensor/solenoid and bands?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
PapaG
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Good example of keeping things in the same thread.
LMAO Zman. Yeah I learned my lesson. Hehehehe

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 AM
PapaG
Veteran

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
yeah i guess i need to grab one. is it not odd that with the same bad speed sensor (supposedly), it should shift at the same points it did before we replaced the gov sensor/solenoid and bands?
Yeah but these trans are weird when it comes to the sensors. Sometimes they don't act like we think they should. For example with mine I had OD issues and started looking into it and when I dropped the pan found a pc of an o-ring so now it's rebuild time but point is while I was in the pan I was checking out/cleaning the sensor and solenoid. Afterwards I was reading in MonteC's thread that my 2001 should have the plastic sensor and not the metal one that is in it. A 2001 computer won't work correctly with the metal sensor. BUT the only issue I have with my trans is no OD. Shifts fine otherwise and no slippage, etc. So I'm stumped as to why I haven't had other noticeable issues from the wrong parts.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
well i noticed that the tranny was acting up where sometimes it would jerk around in first, long shift times, etc. so i took it to a guy and he hooked his machine up and before we drove it showed me what it was supposed to register. well it was all over the map so we decided to go ahead and replace them as well as tighten the bands and change the fluid filter.

just boggles my mind that if it wasn't touched that it would change it in any manner
Also make sure the spring is not broken. It's down at the tranny end of the cable.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

aight, so in the 30 degree cold this morning with no abs/brake lights on it shifts like a champ around 23-2500 rpms. so all signs are pointing to the speed sensor messing with it yesterday when i picked it up.

so are speed sensors speed sensors or is there a better one compared to others?

this one suffice?

ok after looking around it seems that if i have 4 wheel abs that i have 2 sensors on the front wheels. how can i tell if i have 4 wheel abs?

Last edited by blackbeasst; 02-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Look at the front wheels. If there is a wire going to them, you have 4wal.

Quick Reply: governor pressure sensor/solenoid replaced and bands tightened...shifting at 3k now?