2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual muffler exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Kierbo77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or how bout we stick to thrush mufflers. Older, classic brand, cheap and give you the sound, power and roar you want. And I'm splitting it and doing the 2 mufflers because there is less restriction which will give it a better deep tone and loudness

Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Read Here. Pay particular attention to the third paragraph. Granted, it is only one manufacturer, but, the results are pretty telling.....

The marketing focus in really identified in the fourth paragraph...just not listed as what the focus is, but I think we all know (or at least those of us that have "been there-done that" MANY years ago).

Last edited by gdstock; 02-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kierbo77
Or how bout we stick to thrush mufflers. Older, classic brand, cheap and give you the sound, power and roar you want. And I'm splitting it and doing the 2 mufflers because there is less restriction which will give it a better deep tone and loudness
Curious, So why did you ask if you already have your mind made up? Or did you research it elsewhere and find your answers?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Kierbo77

Well this is a thrush muffler set up suggestion thread, not a oh get a flowmaster or how cool flowmasters are. I asked what's better for the 2 different ways you can split my exhaust. Never got answered

Old 02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
Best thing to do is get on YouTube and start searching. It all depends on what you like.
Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Actually many mufflers are designed for a certain flow rate.... more or less can make it sound totally different...sometimes more flow will make it quieter sometimes louder... and it can actually hurt performance if the flow is too much or too little for what the muffler was designed to handle.
Well this is a thrush muffler set up suggestion thread, not a oh get a flowmaster or how cool flowmasters are. I asked what's better for the 2 different ways you can split my exhaust. Never got answered
There's your answers.. YouTube videos will let you hear the different setups... short of someone here actually using the setup you want. Most are preferring other systems like the flowmasters and thats why your "Dual exhaust" (not thrush btw) thread went that direction. Its free advise man.... What do you expect? the thread is going to go where peoples interests take it... If you use the search feature you'll likely see this questions been asked and answered many times before... We have to keep it interesting somehow.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have two H's in my system, yes it does give it a different tone from other styles and using an x would change it again. Pipe size I use is 2.25 I would not go bigger than that for a dual system.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Kierbo77

YouTube people have crap recorders and ****ty sound, gives you an idea and 2 mufflers will restrict the flow to give me backpressure. Because right now i have stock exhaust and I cut the muffler off. Great deep idle but when you rev it it gets loud but loses that sound of power and crackles big time.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

and 2 mufflers will restrict the flow to give me backpressure.
I'm no expert but I don't think adding back pressure (to an already restrictive exhaust) would really help any performance-wise. I think the y-pipe itself gives you enough restriction, so much so it's better to replace it w/ a less restrictive one (less back pressure).

Like I've said, 1 muffler vs 2 mufflers has minimal sound difference when you've done nothing w/ the rest of the exhaust, it's more of a factor of how much $ you feel like spending for looks/maybe a few added horses. If you want power, sound, and looks...headers, true dual high flow cats, dual (good flowing) mufflers, and 2.25-2.5 size pipes.

You seem like you've already made a decision on just adding thrush mufflers, so put one or two on...it's up to you.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 02-12-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Kierbo77

I'm not expert but y pipes don't add restriction..... And I don't feel like explaining the logic in the 2 mufflers. Ive talked to real pros not people who "think" they know what I should do.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I'm not expert but y pipes don't add restriction..... And I don't feel like explaining the logic in the 2 mufflers. Ive talked to real pros not people who "think" they know what I should do.
I was trying to be humble... And offer suggestions, whether they pertain to your interests or not. Take it or leave, not my problem.

Ask anyone else on here, stock y-pipe/cat setup is restrictive. Replace it with mandrel bent y-pipe going into a dual inlet cat=less restriction=more power in the case of our 2nd gen rams.

The stock y-pipe crams the 2 pipes coming from the manifolds into a small diameter pipe leading into a single inlet cat. This restriction is more prevalent in the 94-99 models as they changed the exhaust setup/pipe sizes for the better in the 00-01 models (although upgrading the exhaust still helps to increase power).

I've already done this myself. Replaced the pipes and got a hi flow cat...even with a blown plenum there was a definite increase in power from that alone.

Quick Reply: Dual muffler exhaust?