2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Problem and headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Fubba
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Problem and headlight issue

I have a 96 318 4x4. I've replaced the u-joints and ball joints, and I still have alignment issues. My camber is still negative and out of spec. The caster is also out of spec and is maxed out on both wheels to try and get them close. Since this is a solid axle truck, what is going on? What needs to be replaced?

Also, my headlights have started turning on and off. I flip the switch off and on a couple of times, and they come back on. Do I just need to replace the switch? I understand there's not a relay on it, so I assume it's just burned up.

My foglights are also terribly corroded. I've tried to use the headlight renewal stuff, but I think I'd just like to replace them. Has anyone changed theirs?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Fubba; 02-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Camber is only marginally adjustable, and you have to replace the balljoints with adjustable units even to get that...... If you can't get into spec even with the adjustables, axle might be bent.....

Got any lift on that truck??

Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Fubba
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Camber is only marginally adjustable, and you have to replace the balljoints with adjustable units even to get that...... If you can't get into spec even with the adjustables, axle might be bent.....

Got any lift on that truck??
No lift on the front just add-a-leafs on the back. I've got 33x12.50's on it though. Would the axle be bent or the axle tubes?

Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

The tubes would be bent, you might could have a messed up knuckle too, but that would take a seriouse wap to mess up. You wanna hurry up and check that headlight switch, I read somewhere there was a recall on them and believe it since the original bout burned my truck down a couple weeks ago... If you don't know how to take dash apart you can try turning on the lights and if they don't come on tap the switch with your finger knuckle lightly to see if you can get them on, worked on mine, then it started getting hot

Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Fubba
Professional

Originally Posted by P1NKST@FF
The tubes would be bent, you might could have a messed up knuckle too, but that would take a seriouse wap to mess up. You wanna hurry up and check that headlight switch, I read somewhere there was a recall on them and believe it since the original bout burned my truck down a couple weeks ago... If you don't know how to take dash apart you can try turning on the lights and if they don't come on tap the switch with your finger knuckle lightly to see if you can get them on, worked on mine, then it started getting hot
Where could I get new tubes?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Fubba,

An alignment shop has provided you with the out of specification data?

What are your road manners/symptoms? tire wear, handling, etc.?

Got any picture to put up of the entire front end for ppl to take a gander? Would be helpful to show the knuckles, steering linkage, full axle, etc.

It would not be worth just changing the tubes over going to a junkyard or searching CL for a replacement axle altogether.

btw -- what year was it that the ball joints were in the knuckles as opposed to the C?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Fubba
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Hey Fubba,

An alignment shop has provided you with the out of specification data?

What are your road manners/symptoms? tire wear, handling, etc.?

Got any picture to put up of the entire front end for ppl to take a gander? Would be helpful to show the knuckles, steering linkage, full axle, etc.

It would not be worth just changing the tubes over going to a junkyard or searching CL for a replacement axle altogether.

btw -- what year was it that the ball joints were in the knuckles as opposed to the C?
The truck pulls hard to the right, and I have some bad feathering on the inside of my tires. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow since it's dark outside now. There's definitely something wrong with the front end for sure. Also, I've installed 4.56 gears in the differential. Should I just try to find tubes/axles together or the whole assembly?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fubba
The truck pulls hard to the right, and I have some bad feathering on the inside of my tires. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow since it's dark outside now. There's definitely something wrong with the front end for sure. Also, I've installed 4.56 gears in the differential. Should I just try to find tubes/axles together or the whole assembly?

Although not related to your problem...I got a question. You installed 4.56 gears in the differential. Would that be the rear diff? or both?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Fubba
Professional

I've found a few full assemblies on the internet. How likely is it that these are straight? Is it easy to bend the tubes and axles? I've never off-roaded hard or banged it that I remember. Also, is it possible to just change the tubes and axles with the differential still on the truck? I'll just need new seals right?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Fubba
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Although not related to your problem...I got a question. You installed 4.56 gears in the differential. Would that be the rear diff? or both?
Both.

Quick Reply: Front End Problem and headlight issue