2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I2001 dodge ram 3500 nstrument Cluster Missing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I already know

Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyRay
I purchased a 2001 dodge ram 3500 pickup from a tow yard. It was a theft recovery that had been left. The dash instrument cluster is missing from the truck. When I attempt to insert the key and start the truck nothing happens.

I have searched this forum using instrument cluster, dash board, no start, plus many more keywords and have been unable to find out the answer to my questions.

My questions:
Can I start the truck without an instrument cluster being in the truck? If so how?

What might prevent the truck from being able to start?

Are there any anti-theft devices that come standard on that model that might prevent it from starting?

I have attempted to post this question before but got some resistance. So as suggested, I listed a few of the keywords that I used in my search. I used so many that unfortunately I can not remember them all.

If there is a specific way of searching that I am not using could someone please let me know.

I have no problem helping out those in need as I do so all the time on other forums. My philosophy is that someone took the time to teach me so I should take the time and share my knowledge with others. Not one person knows everything. I have been a transmission mechanic for many years and I have owned many different cars but this is my first dodge. Thanks for any help in advance. If you all need anything let me know.

Quoting from the "other" thread:

If they truly were in some sort of bind and I spoke out of turn, then I would surely swallow my words and graciously apologize.
I apologize and would like to say your thread is a shining example and I think many ppl appreciate it. If they don't, then I'll say that I certainly do.

To add to what ppl have answered on your question so far:

1. Many dodges out there in the offroad world yank the cluster and still start. I don't know what they do though.

2. There's probably numerous things that could prevent a non-start.

3. Yes, an alarm system could contribute to a non-start condition. For example, this recent topic showed an aftermarket alarm system futzing with the running condition: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...urned-off.html

The stock alarm system (this is an option on trucks iirc) should be fine, no problems, provided wires are intact and such.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM
DirtyRay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After some searching...

It seems as if there was an aftermarket alarm on the truck. When it was recovered it was recovered without the brain to the alarm. That is why it would not start... not only did it not have the alarm brain but there was a shortage in the set of wires that controls the starter and the ignition.

Thanks again all for your help!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by DirtyRay
It seems as if there was an aftermarket alarm on the truck. When it was recovered it was recovered without the brain to the alarm. That is why it would not start... not only did it not have the alarm brain but there was a shortage in the set of wires that controls the starter and the ignition.

Thanks again all for your help!

So you got it to start?

If so, glad to hear it!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Soooo you got it started?

Also, post up some pictures! We don't get many 1 ton guys around here, and we always like to ooh and ahh over everyone else's projects

EDIT: Friggin' gdstock

Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
DirtyRay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It runs!!!

Yes you read it right... it runs! Had to start it off the solenoid but it does run! Still gotta sort through the mess that is the wiring from the alarm to find the shorts but it does run. Has a bad freeze plug (the one right behind the motor mount) but no blown head gasket or anything major so far.

As for those that ask for pics maybe after I get the body in a bit better shape. It is a theft recovery after all I am sure you can imagine the shape its currently in.

Thanks again for all help!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I like pictures of beat up trucks.

Quick Reply: I2001 dodge ram 3500 nstrument Cluster Missing