2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I2001 dodge ram 3500 nstrument Cluster Missing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 PM
DirtyRay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I2001 dodge ram 3500 nstrument Cluster Missing

I purchased a 2001 dodge ram 3500 pickup from a tow yard. It was a theft recovery that had been left. The dash instrument cluster is missing from the truck. When I attempt to insert the key and start the truck nothing happens.

I have searched this forum using instrument cluster, dash board, no start, plus many more keywords and have been unable to find out the answer to my questions.

My questions:
Can I start the truck without an instrument cluster being in the truck? If so how?

What might prevent the truck from being able to start?

Are there any anti-theft devices that come standard on that model that might prevent it from starting?

I have attempted to post this question before but got some resistance. So as suggested, I listed a few of the keywords that I used in my search. I used so many that unfortunately I can not remember them all.

If there is a specific way of searching that I am not using could someone please let me know.

I have no problem helping out those in need as I do so all the time on other forums. My philosophy is that someone took the time to teach me so I should take the time and share my knowledge with others. Not one person knows everything. I have been a transmission mechanic for many years and I have owned many different cars but this is my first dodge. Thanks for any help in advance. If you all need anything let me know.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

As far as I know, on the 01, the PCM doesn't care if the IC is there or not... and it shouldn't prevent anything. (you should be able to DRIVE the truck with no IC.... it would just be an interesting exercise. )

Does anything work at all? If you do indeed have power, take a look in the PDC (under the hood, right behind the battery) and see if all the fuses/relays are still there. Yep, there is a relay for the starter.

Start there.

Edit: Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section. It has wiring diagrams, and also layouts of the PDC, and juntion block. (fuse block in the side of the dash.)

Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would guess that the pcm would see there is no odometer connected and throw an error possibly disabling the vehicle?
someone else posted yesterday that they were able to get one running without the cluster connected however...

Old 02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stupid question...is the battery good? Other than that I dont really know. Check what HeyYou said.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

my fuel pump primes on my 98 with the cluster removed, although i didnt dare try to crak it over. does your fuel pump prime?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I would guess that the pcm would see there is no odometer connected and throw an error possibly disabling the vehicle?
someone else posted yesterday that they were able to get one running without the cluster connected however...
I don't think the PCM even KNOWS if the cluster is connected or not. After all, the truck will run/drive just fine with a no-bus error. Not like the PCM communicates directly with the PCM in any event. It just tells the CTM what's up, and the CTM passes the information along.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started another thread for ya when the last one got closed. Here's what I posted:

Well when I went to reply the thread was open, but after this was all typed out it was not. Hope this helps a bit.

I started my '95 and drove it 300 miles without a cluster. But it's possible that with your truck being so much more electronically advanced (despite appearing identical) then mine (I have OBD1 management, you have OBD2) it needs those circuits completed. If it is not starting, I would look elsewhere than the cluster.

Will it turn over? If not then your first step is getting power to the starter (or a new starter).

If it will turn over but won't start, that's when you check for spark, fuel delivery, etc.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 PM
DirtyRay
Default Thank you everyone

Thanks everyone for your assistance I will post my findings as soon as I am able to get back to working on this project. Thanks once again!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Good luck man!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 PM
gdstock
Legend

Of course....now we ALL want to know if it will start without cluster. Not that I plan on taking mine out....just curious now.

Quick Reply: I2001 dodge ram 3500 nstrument Cluster Missing