2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rebuild tranny or junkyard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:50 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id also have all the solenoids replaced (torque converter lock-up, governor pressure sensor, and governor presure switch) also get your frint and rear bands tighted to factory specs, throw on a external filter and cooler and you should be set.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Would you say this is a good maintenance action overall? Or to ask a different way, would you still recommend this where the tranny has "never" presented an issue in its life? lol
The check valve tends to get gummed up, and then restrict fluid flow thru the coolers, leading to an overheated trans. Heat is the biggest killer of autos. Removing it is ALWAYS a good idea.

Changing fluid/filter, and inspecting the contents of the pan, and maybe even cleaning the governor pressure solenoid/sensor isn't a bad idea either. Might give you an idea of how much longer your trans may be good for. (if you find metal shavings, or bits of snap ring in there, you can pretty much count on a rebuild within the year...... if it's just the usual sludge, prolly good to go for a while.)

Flushing the trans is ALWAYS a bad idea. Only instance where it MIGHT not be, would be a trans that has been flushed on a regular basis since new. Otherwise, all you are doing is circulating all the built up crap thru the trans, and more than likely causing more harm than doing any good.

Junkyard trans is a real crap shoot. You may get a good one, then again, it may die right after whatever warranty it may come with runs out. I don't really care for doing trans swaps.... much prefer to do it once, and be done with it. If you have the cash, PATC is definitely the way to go, unless you have a TRUSTED rebuilder in the area.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Pretty much what heyyou said. Unless the trans has been flushed on a regular maintenance schedule since new I would stray away from doing it. I know from experience on that one when I had my 01

Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When it comes to these trucks Expect a junkyard tranny to be junk....I had a friend who went that route for $500 plus he had to do the work to install....7 months later.... junk tranny go boom too.... now hes out a tranny ... It costs $1,100 to 1,800 to have a reputable shop rebuild it right...I recently had to have mine done and I financed it because I needed other work too and didnt have the 1,800 lying around... but its fixed and if something goes wrong it has a warranty.
the trannies in these trucks have a high failure rate/ short life...that means they are more likely to be bad or weak from the junkyard... some vehicles it may make sense but not in a Ram... just my two cents...
if the soleniods are plugging up that means the tranny it leaving more metal where it shouldnt be and it starting to have issues...been there trust me.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Most rams at the junkyard are there because of the trans, just like all the 98-03 f150's I asked a guy at the jy near me and he said alot have low mile just wont move under their own power

Quick Reply: rebuild tranny or junkyard?