2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Found strange steel ball

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM
bill022572
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found strange steel ball

HI - just tore down my 2001 Ram 1500 2wd 46re last weekend. I am in the process of getting my parts together for re-assembly. But ----- tonight I was putzing around looking at the many parts and noticed something strange. When I removed the valve body assembly --- I sat the whole assembly in the trans pan and had it sitting on my bench waiting to be cleaned (it has not been dis-assembled yet). I saw in the pan under the valve body mixed together with the pan bolts : a steel ball. Any ideas where it could have come from ? Has anyone ever run into this before ? I am planning on a more thorough and closer look tomorrow but was just wondering. Thanks

Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are about 5 steel ***** in the valve body. But that's the key - they should be IN the valve body.

Go here and download. Go to tranny section. The steel ***** are 3 different sizes. The only one that is outside of the internals is the deten on shifter comb.

2nd Generation Dodge Ram Service Manuals

Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 PM
bill022572
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it. And --- GOOD CALL --- I went and looked at it again and that is exactly what it was. When I removed the linkage - I originally made a mistake and removed the clip that holds the manual shaft in - I had realized my mistake and reinstalled it but when I had it out the manual lever had apparently moved out enough to let the ball come out. A miracle I didn't lose it. Again - thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Found strange steel ball