2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I use Methanol instead of gas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 AM
crawlin95
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less energy in alcohol over pump gas.... scratches head... thought that was the other way around? You cant run methanol because it would give you detonation like crazy without having a tune to adjust the fuel ratio and ignition timing to handle it. Also the Methanol would destroy your fuel pump and anything else not rated for alcohol in your fuel system. You can run ethanol with no issues Idk about that conversion kit it kinda looks like a big waste of money to me my Ram has been running on E85 for 4yrs with no issues lol. Now propane is a good idea but it's pricey for the conversion and hard to come across propane where i'm at. Best thing you could do is get a tune for better fuel mileage and add cheap power adders to gain more mpg like E-fans cold air intake bigger t-body headers and free flowing exhaust and possibly get diff re geared for your driving style.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

CNG is a viable alternative. Many 5.2L ram fleet vans and trucks were manufactured for Canada in 1994-1995 and the conversion kits are being stripped off of them and sold on EBAY.

Don't expect to pass emission in your area.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, there are getting to be more and more natural gas conversion kits out there which means the prices are coming down. Advantages are cost of the gas is comparatively cheap and the fact that it is produced here (as a by product of gasoline production). There was a study I read done in Germany (natural gas conversion is common in Europe) that said there is also almost no internal engine wear with natural gas and Mercedes found test gas engines were exceeding the life of diesels when running natural gas.

Food for thaught anyway...

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yep, there are getting to be more and more natural gas conversion kits out there which means the prices are coming down. Advantages are cost of the gas is comparatively cheap and the fact that it is produced here (as a by product of gasoline production). There was a study I read done in Germany (natural gas conversion is common in Europe) that said there is also almost no internal engine wear with natural gas and Mercedes found test gas engines were exceeding the life of diesels when running natural gas.

Food for thaught anyway...
Natural gas (aka Methane) can also be manufactured by water treatment facilities, landfills, or other means of processing waste. The future is going to be biofuels and not these idiotic electric tinker toys. I've been saying this for the past decade.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Natural gas (aka Methane) can also be manufactured by water treatment facilities, landfills, or other means of processing waste. The future is going to be biofuels and not these idiotic electric tinker toys. I've been saying this for the past decade.

Not gonna happen unless we can get the oil companies out of the politicians pockets. They've basically legislated bio-diesel out of existence with the passing of all the new emission laws. Ain't a new production diesel engine out there now that will run anything but the newer, low sulfur diesel fuels unless you illegally yank all the emission sh*t out and re-tune the PCM.

And yeah, I know what you are going to say, that CNG burns cleaner than what we are using now (CNG is actually the cleanest burning of all the fossil fuels), but the oil companies/politicians will just come up with another reason to legislate it out if it proves to one day threaten the oil companies...

Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Not gonna happen unless we can get the oil companies out of the politicians pockets. They've basically legislated bio-diesel out of existence with the passing of all the new emission laws. Ain't a new production diesel engine out there now that will run anything but the newer, low sulfur diesel fuels unless you illegally yank all the emission sh*t out and re-tune the PCM.

And yeah, I know what you are going to say, that CNG burns cleaner than what we are using now (CNG is actually the cleanest burning of all the fossil fuels), but the oil companies/politicians will just come up with another reason to legislate it out if it proves to one day threaten the oil companies...

Never say never.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Advantages are cost of the gas is comparatively cheap and the fact that it is produced here (as a by product of gasoline production).
Here in my neck of the woods, natural gas is pumped right out of the ground. I'm really glad to be upstream of all of that fracking fluid injection. Fracking fluid (except diesel based) is exempt from the Clean Water Act... Life's better upstream.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Here in my neck of the woods, natural gas is pumped right out of the ground. I'm really glad to be upstream of all of that fracking fluid injection. Fracking fluid (except diesel based) is exempt from the Clean Water Act... Life's better upstream.
Always drink upstream of the herd.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Always drink upstream of the herd.
Around here we flush our toilets upstream of the herd!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 PM
leahyhfarms
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replys. Guess it looks like I doomed to pay over the top gas prices here. Anyone got any links to those conversion kits, I was looking on ebay and couldn't find any.

Quick Reply: Can I use Methanol instead of gas.