2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fan belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 AM
angelo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan belt issues

Has anyone run into this issue before. I have a sqealing sepentine belt. I have replaced the belt 3 times and put on the most expensive belt. Also changed the idle pulley the whole tensioner. It seems to be fine in the mornings till it warms up and them it starts to make a noise.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

monitor your coolant level to see if you're losing coolant out the water pump seal which might be getting on the belt.

verify idler pulley and tensioner pulley bolts are tight and have not backed out.

verify tensioner is putting lots on tension on the belt and keeping it tight at all temps.

with truck running, observe the belt path. verify everything is in perfect alignment and not wobbling or moving in/out.

engine off, remove belt from tensioner and spin each pulley by hand including alternator, water pump, and PS pump. if any are dry, or ringy, or catchy, or anything but perfectly smooth - replace it.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM
4angrybadgers

If you don't already know, there's a difference between "squealing" and "chirping". Figuring out which one it is can help you narrow down. (Found this out last month when I was chasing down a consistent chirp, it turned out to be my water pump.)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ng-squeal.html

Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 PM
angelo
Rookie

You maybe right it does sound like a chip but my. Promlem is that I could put a new belt and it would go away for a week and then start to come back. When it is cold it does not do it bad but as it warms up it does it bad. If it was the water pump would it not do it all the time even if I changed the belt

Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 PM
SilverSS
Captain

I got squeal with the expensive gates belt. Put a dayco belt on and No more problems. Have you tried one of them?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 AM
angelo
Rookie

Dayco is the brand I am using

Quick Reply: Fan belt issues