2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ok, how bad is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM
zinfendel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, how bad is this?

I took my '98 Ram 1500 on a 160 mile trip today, pulling a trailer to help someone move. I just bought this truck a few weeks back for plowing. I usually put fewer than 600 miles a year on my trucks, going out on a long highway run is rare.

As I approached the highway, I heard a banging noise from the left front wheel. Later I looked at it and saw the axle U joint trashed, at least one U joint bushing had fallen out and the pin was just banging around in the stub axle hole.

About 50 miles into the trip also, the truck suddenly began do shudder/vibrate, mush like when you hit those rumble strips on the edge of the pavement. I pulled over and looked around but didn't see anything an continued to where I was going. I drove about 55 and didn't feel good about what I might be doing to the drivetrain.

On the way home (about 75 miles) I wasn't following anyone so I could try to see what was causing it. At first it didn't shudder, then I hit some broken pavement and it started. I found that if I pulled of onto the shoulder and came to a complete stop, then started out again, it would run smoothly (except for the U joint banging)... until I hit a bump. It also seemed like hitting something with just one of the front wheels (like a manhole cover, etc) would make it do it, vs, hitting like a bridge seam both wheels at the same time. I pulled off an restarted about 5 times to keep it from shuddering. This seems odd.

Lastly, 4H doesn't seem to engage, the light on the dash doesn't come on when I put it in 4h and then drive. It worked yesterday.

So..... I suspect that I might have banged up the bores in the axles such that a U joint replacement isn't possible. Opinions? They don't LOOK that bad, but I don't have the axle out yet. I found a rebuilt complete axle for about $200, best bet?

My guess is that the spinning axle "went wobbly" when I hit a bump, or something in the front diff started ??? I hope I didn't do more damage. I found a good Youtube video showing the axle replacement and it doesn't look that bad. Bothers me that the 4WD won't engage. Thoughts? Could the floppy left axle cause this?

Thanks for any tips/pointers. I need ball joints on the left side, so I think I am going to have to "go in" and do the whole front end anyway. I want to wait until warmer weather though as the truck doesn't fit in my heated shop. As long as I don't ahve to plow, I don't really need 4WD.....

Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Start by fixing everything you know is already shot and go from there. Anything else will just be a guess.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also climb under truck and have someone turn steering wheel. Look for slack or slop at tie rod ends and pitman arm. Check control arm bushings for wear and shocks.

Last edited by gdstock; 02-18-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, so you noticed a busted U-joint and kept going!!! wow, that was not smart because the axle gets to bang around in the assembly like a jackhammer.

You will need to replace the:
U-joint and axle, and probably the hub assembly.

I had the same thing happen to me and I had the work done professionally (under warranty). It would have cost me 1200. It was about 700 in parts.

4H would not engage because your front axle was completely trashed.

change both U-joints when you do that.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
zinfendel
Rookie

Yeah I know. I didn't realize it was the U joint until I looked closer when I finally made it to my destination. 75 miles from home and with a 12 foot trailer attached. I figure I am in for a new complete axle anyway. The guy I bought it from had just done the U joint on the right side BUT neglected to change out some horribly worn Ball joints, so I'll be back in that side too.

I still can't decide if I should gamble and wait for warmer weather and do it myself, or just drop it off at a shop in my town and have them do it. If we get snow, I'm hosed....

Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Nereaga
Captain

Tell me... How lucky do you feel?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You have a bunch of stuff going on...... sounds like you have a selection of worn front end parts, and now a selection of broken front end parts. You can prolly salvage what you have, but, you are going to blow some bucks on parts. Unless you have a REALLY good job..... do the labor yourself, and just buy parts. Most of it isn't that bad, (aside from the drivers side axle seal, and it sounds like that is the joint that went belly up? If so, you can bet the seal is junk.)

jack up the front, have a look around, inspect EVERYTHING. Figger out what ya need, and get started.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
zinfendel
Rookie

Can anyone recommend a supplier for a complete new LH axle shaft? I found a "Dana 44" on eBay for about $310 shipped. Other online suppliers have this stuff? Been Googling but haven't found much. Thanks....

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check out Currie. They should have everything you need. Quad4x4 is another potential source. Also, don't neglect to check pricing at your local parts stores. Advance will price match whatever you find online. (provided they sell something similar....)

Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 AM
mccart
Veteran

Look at dearborn axle on ebay too