2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilding a 46RE - What to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM
never0101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rebuilding a 46RE - What to look out for?

I'm pawing through the FAQ thread about rebuilding this trans. I'm a tech at a chevy dealer, and have one of our (gm at least) tranny experts going through it with me (parts are different, but the theory is all the same). The trans is out of a 2001 Ram with a 5.2 and around 109k.

Guess I'm just looking for some tips of parts to upgrade and look out for specifically. We've thrown a governer code (i belive it was 1762..) as well as the TCC Boost valve cover broke. (i found the spring, and pieces of the cover, couldnt find the valve. Also upon pulling the valve body down, there was a ugly section of what appears to be part of a snap ring, from somewhere. The trans will be coming out of the truck monday after work, and completely torn down Tuesday. Since i'll be in there, what are some upgrades over stock that wont break the bank but will help reliability? Other common failure areas that I might be able to prevent with a fix now instead of waiting for a break down the road? Thanks for any help! (feel free to yell at me for not searching as well, because i didnt. )

Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well search, in the FAQ section there is a thread called MonteC's transmission corner. In it you find a list of parts to upgrade.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

List is on page six of Monte's thread. The recommendations were for a member that regularly towed a 7K pound trailer. Go by that build, and you should be golden.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM
never0101

Thanks! Another symptom I just remembered (This truck is my girlfriends so I dont drive it often) is that the past few long highway trips, it would kick out of overdrive and the "O/D Off" light would come on, as if you hit the tow/haul button. After a few minutes it would kick back into overdrive and all would be well again. I'll go run through this thread you mention and see what i can come up with.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

remove the check valve too. You'll find info for that in the FAQ section also. And that snap ring is most likely for the OD unit.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by never0101
the past few long highway trips, it would kick out of overdrive and the "O/D Off" light would come on, as if you hit the tow/haul button.
That's a marginal overtemperature condition that causes that, programmed to occur about five degrees or so before the Trans Temp light is illuminated.

These 46R's are almost always killed by poor ATF flow, and that's one of the symptoms. If it's still in line, a clogged anti-drainback valve is the usual suspect. My favorite fix for that is to replace the valve with a remote filter -- that way you keep the anti-drainback feature and gain the benefits of the remote filter.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Upgrade frictions, Governor solenoid and pressure sensor, aind install tranny fluid cooler. I also upgraded planetary set and deep pan as well, but those are certainly optional.

Snap ring is out of one of the clutches. It will be obvious when you get it torn down.

Also, in the FAQ/DIY section you can download a service manual. Excellent details on transmission rebuild and all the measurements that are required such as shims.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 AM
95Erokram
Veteran

upgrade the torque converter! Ive had awesome luck with PATC. I got a level 2 build and im loving it. just passed 10,000 miles. finally starting to break it in.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Erokram
upgrade the torque converter! Ive had awesome luck with PATC. I got a level 2 build and im loving it. just passed 10,000 miles. finally starting to break it in.
I've not seen the inside of it, but their billet converter looks hell for strong from the outside. I almost hated installing it, it looked so purty. I'm about 10,000 miles or so into my "level 3" Mega Viper, and I still grin every darn time it upshifts. Who knew one of these things could actually shift quickly and firmly into overdrive?

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 46RE - What to look out for?