2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram missing engine, water from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
angelhonka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram missing engine, water from exhaust

On the 2/21 I topped off my tank with 14 gal of gasoline and about a 1/4 mile away from the gas station it started to sputter then it shut off at the red lights , it was running perfect prior to putting gas in ... Since then I've replaced the fuel pump assy put in new plugs , cleaned the injectors and fuel rail with inj. cleaner spray, also Pulled out 20 gal of the fuel from the tank and put in high grade gas in with sum seafoam with it ... everything I have done has made absolutely no diff ,it sputters while in park also leaves a water spot under the exh. even when the engine is at running temp . on the highway the trans stutters at 40-45 mph once you get past that it seems like the OD stutters then the od light comnes on .. I've chkd the oil to see if it has ny water but it seems good....I've also pulled out the o2 sensor b4 the cat to see if the cat wwas clogged and it made no diff. I've also took offthe throotle body and cleaned it really good along with the three sensors attached to the thrott body I have a 96 ram 318 automatic 2wd 145000miles .I'm really hboping someone out there can help me

Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Nereaga
Captain

This was posted in the wrong section, Someone will come and move you to the correct place! More answers there!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 PM
angelhonka

ok thanks , well I replaced the cap and rotor along with wires , still no change the truk is still misfiring, my next step is prlly to replace the injectors for some reman bosch injectors that I found om ebay

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Don't just throw parts at it, in hopes of eventually finding the fix... that can get expensive in a hurry.

Sounds like you have some serious missing issues. The shudder in overdrive at 45 and up is a pretty good indicator.....

Do a compression test, and see what you get. Also, check the plenum, and see if it's blown. (stickied thread at top of this forum for info on that.)

I would think coil, or crank sensor before injectors.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM
angelhonka

Ive looked inside the intake and did notice some oil in there , so would that mean that the plenum is blown ? also how do I chk the coil and crank sensor ? ... yesterday I pulled my #2,4 spark plugs out and noticed that 2 had alot of dry carbon deposit on it and 4 had fuel sitting on the plug and I had just put those in on monday so thats why I went and replaced the wires,cap,rotor thinking it was that ,but it made no diffrence , ihavent recheckedthe plugs yet but Im just about out of ideas here,Ive even checked the blinker fluid ...and it was good ...lol

Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Check your plugs again. Wet plug is indicative of consistent miss..... verify spark on all cylinders. (at the plug) If one or more cylinders aren't firing, or, get a really weak spark, replace the crank sensor, if ALL the cylinders have a weak spark, replace the coil.

Plenum is more than likely blown.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rookie

Bad PCV valve can produce excessive oil in TB as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rookie

But that seems like the least of your problems

Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM
angelhonka

JUST TOOK OUT THE CKPS gonna replace it , I chked the plugs they all seemed fouled, alot of carbon on them plus I broke one of the plugs ....Im REALLY hating my truk right now

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
slapshift318
Rookie

What are the results of changing the CKPS? mine's doing the same thing. and it's anouying. replaced exactly everything you have.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram missing engine, water from exhaust