2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heavy oil consumption- not plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
jmelton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heavy oil consumption- not plenum

Hello everyone i've been visiting the sight for a while and thought it was time to post since i couldnt find any one with the same problem as mine. 01 ram 5.2 engine 140xxx miles. goes thru about a quart every 2 weeks sometimes more sometimes less. does not smoke at start up unless i start driving or rev the engine then it will smoke but if i let it warm up it will not smoke unless i gun it. i've been using synthetic blend 10w30. ok what ive done so far. blew a head gasket 3 weeks after buying it replaced gaskets my self but didnt have the funds or time to have the heads milled. chacked them they werent warped. all cylinders still had good cross hatch on them no exxcessive carbon build up.also replaced valve seals. plenum gasket was bad.replaced at time of head gasket. noticed was burning/losing oil. 3 months later had a local shop cut a plenum pan for me out of 1/4 inch aluminum and replaced gasket again. still losing oil. bought aftermarket pcv duralast i believe, still losing oil. clogged cat messed up front o2. gutted cat it was aftermarket not factory. have new o2 reluctant to install untill oil problem fixed. truck now stumbles a few seconds when operating temp reached, probably casue of 02 sensor. recently pulled plugs 6 and 8 were covered in oil and carbon. did compression test all cylinders were between 150 and 160 psi. did vacuum test at manifold about 18 hg at idle with a slight vibration of needle. have not done leak down test(necessary?). oil in intake but not exxcessive. installed a homeade oil catcher in line of pcv, there is alwasy oil in it always. have new mopar pcv on the way ordered yesterday.
now i'm wondering if the pcv can actually draw that much oil from engine or if maybe a cracked intake no visable cracks could be seen in it. or if its just not sealing against the head at cyls 6&8 i did not replace the manifold bolts last time it was off, but i have a complete manifold kit with bolts on the way.
anyone think of something i'm missing or did wrong other than not milling the heads. its been about i year of this and its past due to be fixed. any help or ideas will be greatly apriciated. i was in a hurry when i did the head gaskets since i only usually have one day off at a time and had to do it in one day, maybe a vavle stem seal was not installed properly.
sorry for the long post i really wanted to get every thing in there i could think of.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

I have the same problem. I'm consuming a lot of oil even though I've replaced the plenum seal and installed the Hughes kit. I'm still blowing a quart or a little less a week out the tail pipe. When I start the truck, sometimes a small puff of smoke will pop out and if I don't let it warm up for a few minutes, it will smoke down the street for a block or so. I think oil is settling somewhere in the valves when sitting. I'm guess blown valve seals or some cracks in the head (this truck was run for a long time with a plugged cat).

Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
slapshift318
Rookie

Manifold bolts, when installed by the factory, they were ment to be there forever. after being taken off, they stretch, this is MUST REPLACE type thing. PCV Shouldnt be pulling oil. it pulls the moisture from the bottom of the engine.
It could be the heads. I Was recently told the heads were a SURE Thing to be ruined in time. Might autta get the milled, or get new ones. they are around 300 bucks.
-
I Would drive it easy untill your kit gets there. Then get it replaced. FAST. your lucky you didn't snap a bolt.
do you have exessive oil around your valve covers?
is your PCV working? you can test it by starting the engine, pulling it out, and see'ing if there's suction, and if the pin inside can move freely.
-
But i would inspect your intake when you replace the bolts, and double check the heads. sounds like a leak.
Check your valve seals aswell. could also be a problem. but. i cant confirm it. take some photos when you get it tore apart.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
jmelton

no oil around valve covers and the pcv is working if it was the heads would'nt i have low compression in those cylinders.
and to kadetklapp yeah same thing about a block or two it blows smoke.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Compression test won't tell you what kind of shape your oil control rings are in..... Leak Down test won't either..... only way to tell on those, is to pull the pistons, and look... which probably isn't something you really want to do at this point.

Aftermarket PCV valves aren't always the correct flow rate... and CAN pull a fair amount of oil into the engine. Replacing with mopar unit is a good plan.

When you had your heads off, did you check the valve to guide clearance?

I have pretty much the same problem..... Plenum has been fixed with hughes plate, Mopar PCV valve.... haven't done the compression test yet. (afraid to...) cylinders 1 and 8 like to ash foul the plugs... to the point they need to be cleaned/replaced about every six months. I REALLY would like to figger this one out.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
jmelton

HeyYou yeah i really should have tested the valve to guide clearance, pressed for time, doubt i can figure a way to do it with the heads installed. and yeah the current pcv has been drawing alot of oil to the point that i can watch it go into my oil catcher. which seems to be just a pit stop for the oil cause it still draws it into the intake once it gets so much into it. And no i really dont want to pull the pistons yet but eventually i may as a last resort.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe oil from the pvc is a bigger contributor to oil in the intake than people seem to give credit for... Everyone assumes its got to be the plenum..
Question is, Is this because of a bad pvc valve or because of something else overwhelming the pvc valve?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the more blow by gas the more oil coughed up through the PCV.. pretty much plain and simple.. sounds like worn rings to me.. get a vacuum gauge on it and study it in varying conditions.. that cheap tool is indispensable for these kinds of things...

check the scenarios here, about halfway down the page..

edit: scenario four is what I'm thinking..

Last edited by drewactual; 02-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
the more blow by gas the more oil coughed up through the PCV.. pretty much plain and simple.. sounds like worn rings to me.. get a vacuum gauge on it and study it in varying conditions.. that cheap tool is indispensable for these kinds of things...

check the scenarios here, about halfway down the page..

edit: scenario four is what I'm thinking..
hmm your scenarios are missing? ...nevermind missed the link in red

Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scenario eight is also a strong possibility..

Quick Reply: heavy oil consumption- not plenum