2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lack of engine power...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM
safrantz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of engine power...

Hey all,

I did some searching and maybe I'm not using the right wordage/verbage but I do not see anything that pertains to my situation... at least not out right.. here goes.

As many of you know, I recently put in a new NV3500 transmission in my my truck... runs now, not sure how long it sat before I purchased it, I've had it just short of 2 months now... Anyways, I haven't done anything other than replace the transmission, put new trans fluid in, performed an oil change, and added coolant to the rad/reservoir... I know I have a small coolant leak from a freeze plug which I plan on fixing here shortly, but if I have to do something more serious/involved, like drain the entire system to fix my issue, I'd rather do it all at once.

The main problem I have right now, is that my engine seems to lack power (horsepower?) in 5th gear... I'm on the highway, flat road, I shift into 5th... somewhere around 45 mph (or so, maybe 50..) and once I'm in 5th... if I floor the gas pedal, I don't get much of any response at all... I can continually hold it down and it creeps up in speed... but I feel as if I am putting too much on the engine without enough response... I have yet to change any sparkplugs, I'm about to go get some... I was reading up on plenum fix (I'll check the through the TB with a mirror and see what's up down there...) But what else should I look for? It needs a serious overall cleaning... was a hunting truck before and there is mud everywhere...

Thoughts?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM
safrantz
Professional
Talking

Originally Posted by zman17
Yeah... read all 40 pages of that prior to posting the thread in general... I didn't want you to comment that I should search or read threads before posting anything...

I know, by reading the thread, that lack of power can be a symptom from a plenum issue... but wasn't sure if it could be something else, such as simply replacing spark plugs... wanted input..

Thanks for the redirect in case I had missed the thread zman17.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe someone else will chime in but in my opinion 5th gear is for cruising at high speeds. do you have a tach, maybe you should bring the RPMs up a bit before puttting it into such a high gear. Fourth gear at fifty MPH sounds more like it. Or try down shifting into fourth when you want that power. But what do I know, mine is a automatic.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

i agree 5th gear should be for 60+mph pluse those tires. you have a 318 not a hemi just because you have 5 speeds dont mean you have to use it all the time or get higher gears

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
safrantz
Professional

thanks guys - maybe because I'm so used to auto's I'm thinking that I should get more response from the engine when I stomp on the pedal... but if I'm already in 5th... obviously I have to downshift if I want it to respond... sometimes I just have to speak aloud... thanks guys :P

Old 03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

possible clogged cat

Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I drive mine, I usually hit 5th by about 35 mph, unless I am trying to go fast.

Often in my Lexus I take off in 2nd, rev to about 2100 rpm, and go straight to 5th. (that's at about 23mph). No issues driving that way, as i shift right into idle speed, just trading power/response for fuel economy.

I think your 5.2 should have a bit better response at those speeds in that gear, but without driving or riding in it personally, I don't know how bad the symptoms are.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 03-01-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
safrantz
Professional

Yeah, I have a buddy headed over tomorrow...going to give the truck a goods look over... And for the previous post, I'm straight piped..that is after the cherry bomb....

Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the time when smash on the peddle in an automatic transmission it's downshifting, that's why your RPMs shoot up.

I drive a ford focus occasionally and I'll rev that sucker up and go to fifth at about 4000, sometimes I'll get close to redlining it when I'm getting on the freeway. It's got pretty decent power in 5th at about 70mph. But it's RPMs are way up there.

A 318, or 360 for that matter will always have way more grunt at lower speeds. my 360 accelerates like a bat ou of hell all the way to about 40mph, then it kinda quits lol

Quick Reply: Lack of engine power...