2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cat Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Donmega884
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Converter

I think my cat is clogged up and I need it gone. I want to cut it out, but I'm not sure in how I will go about this. If anyone has done this before and could show me the way I'd appreciate

Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Donmega884
I think my cat is clogged up and I need it gone. I want to cut it out, but I'm not sure in how I will go about this. If anyone has done this before and could show me the way I'd appreciate
Use the search feature and search gutting cat"

Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

If ur gutting it cut the cat out with a sawzall and bang all the stuff out, weld it back on. If your just taking it out, sawzall it off, weld in pipe.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

and make sure you dont drive in states that enforce the federal law about it being there or you may get fined or worse... I've read they impound them in places san Diego..

Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
FFFD827
Professional

spend the 85 bucks and buy a new cat from monster flow on ebay. They are made just for our trucks. had one put on last week and its great. I also changed my O2s. I ran it for a while with a gutted cat and it just didnt feel right in the throttle.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by FFFD827
spend the 85 bucks and buy a new cat from monster flow on ebay. They are made just for our trucks. had one put on last week and its great. I also changed my O2s. I ran it for a while with a gutted cat and it just didnt feel right in the throttle.
I agree I had a gutted cat and replaced it with a high flow magnaflow from ebay and I gained low end power on acceleration.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
and make sure you dont drive in states that enforce the federal law about it being there or you may get fined or worse... I've read they impound them in places san Diego..
States don't enforce federal laws, the feds do, everywhere.

Universal cats are cheap and gutted cats sound like ***.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
States don't enforce federal laws, the feds do, everywhere.

Universal cats are cheap and gutted cats sound like ***.
What exactly does *** sound like? lol, yeh I agree replacing it would be better than gutting, but gutting it would be better than a plugged cat. I got a magnaflow cat on ebay for $60
If you really want to gut it to get you by for a while, easiest way is remove the O2 sensor, cut the back pipe and use somin to break up all that crap then start it up and blow it out

Last edited by Ramcountryboy; 02-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I think the real point is being missed here.... if his cat really was plugged than he has bigger problems like a blown plenum gasket or worn out rings to address...
I'm willing to bet its given no real signs that its plugged but the op wants to gut it because its the "the thing to do to get more power and a louder exhaust".... Well it usually causes the truck to run rich and burn more gas unless you run a simulator from my experience and what I've read...

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I think the real point is being missed here.... if his cat really was plugged than he has bigger problems like a blown plenum gasket or worn out rings to address...
I'm willing to bet its given no real signs that its plugged but the op wants to gut it because its the "the thing to do to get more power and a louder exhaust".... Well it usually causes the truck to run rich and burn more gas unless you run a simulator from my experience and what I've read...

Not necessarily, though highly likely.

There was a recall on the catalytic converters for these trucks many years ago. Dodge fulfilled the federal requirement for that recall, so they no longer honor it at the dealership. There is some debate on whether the converters were bad, or whether the poor plenum design led to the catalytic converters going bad.

The problem with punching out the cat and running it without putting a pipe in it's place is that you let the exhaust gases expand into the converter's open area where the pulse weakens and then gets re-compressed to travel down the rest of the pipe. That's a bad idea from an exhaust flow point of view.

A functioning cat impedes the flow of the exhaust through the honeycomb inside of it, which is why it has to be a larger size than the actual exhaust pipe to flow the same amount. Plus, the cat burning off the excess gases reheats the exhaust pulse and helps it clear the tailpipe.

Quick Reply: Cat Converter