2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1763 Code, Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Total_War
Here is another question, am I stuck with a 46RE Transmission??
If you want a manual, chances are the most economical way to get it is to trade your truck away for one that came from the factory with the NV in it. Otherwise you're swapping in loads of parts and reprogramming the PCM to prevent it from complaining about missing inputs, TCC lockup failure, and so on.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 PM
a2z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
if it is truly the governor and/or speed sensors, you 'can' drive your truck w/o damaging it.. you just have to manually shift it instead of relying on it to do so..
Is this always the case? Is it possible with the gov and/or speed sensor gone bad that it won't shift manually either? (mine won't manually shift)

I'm stuck in first gear. I've already replaced the trans. tail piece speed sensor.
I also believe I'm not getting circulation through my cooler.
Oil level shows over the bends on the stick. Still clear no smell.
Thanks

By the way, I'm new to this forum. My last dodge was a 78 power wagon.
Was a great truck. Which is why I finally got back into a dodge after many anguishing years without. haha.
Current truck: 97 1500 slt

Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by a2z
Is this always the case? Is it possible with the gov and/or speed sensor gone bad that it won't shift manually either? (mine won't manually shift)

I'm stuck in first gear. I've already replaced the trans. tail piece speed sensor.
I also believe I'm not getting circulation through my cooler.
Oil level shows over the bends on the stick. Still clear no smell.
Thanks

By the way, I'm new to this forum. My last dodge was a 78 power wagon.
Was a great truck. Which is why I finally got back into a dodge after many anguishing years without. haha.
Current truck: 97 1500 slt
fluid level is to be checked in neutral... fluid level too high will cause malfunction just as too low will so I'd fix that first.. and the fluid should have a distinct sweet smell...its it doesnt it may be regular atf fluid... without the proper additives this is a bad idea...

when my governor soleniod plugged and failed it would not shift past first gear at all...manually or not so..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-22-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Try removing the check valve. And have you inspected the TV cable for the heck of it?

Last edited by zman17; 04-22-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM
How2Play

I stopped reading after page one, so idk if this has been said or not, but have you tried adjusting the power bands? Dodge is the only manufacture that had adjustable power bands, and your suppose to torque them every time you to a tranny filter.

I took mine to a shop to have it done, just because it is a very specific torque. Charged me $70, but WOW it made a huge difference on my shifting problems..

Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Total_War
Rookie

I just had my transmission fixed last week for warranty

Had a borg Warner governor solenoid installed, new transducer.
Some sort of rooster comb update from transgo
A Detent bearing or stud done, manual valve installed to replace the transmission check ball
A new transmission filter and bands adjusted
Truck is driving like a dream, way smoother shifting

There was no metal on the magnetic plug, fluid clean enough to wash vegtables
Transmission mechanic was quite surprised. He pulled the whole valve body and checked it over with a fine tooth. Nothing he could see.
Transmission was flushed with 9L of Mopar ATF+4. Damn near a full flush.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM
georgiahemi
Default Borg Warner part numbers

Hey Total_War, do you remember the part numbers you had on those Borg Warner parts? I am getting ready to do this to my 01 Ram. Been having that stupid 1763 code pop up and cant get rid of it. I have done just about everything now and the normal parts from Dodge are not working. So now, I am going to replace those parts with Borg Warner and also change out the wiring for these inside the trans pan. If it still does the same after the code, then I will do the wire haness from the top of the trans up to the computer.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by georgiahemi
Hey Total_War, do you remember the part numbers you had on those Borg Warner parts? I am getting ready to do this to my 01 Ram. Been having that stupid 1763 code pop up and cant get rid of it. I have done just about everything now and the normal parts from Dodge are not working. So now, I am going to replace those parts with Borg Warner and also change out the wiring for these inside the trans pan. If it still does the same after the code, then I will do the wire haness from the top of the trans up to the computer.
The Borg Warner solenoid is just that, the solenoid. You need to replace the TC lockup OD solenoid unit if you want to replace the wire harness.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by georgiahemi
Hey Total_War, do you remember the part numbers you had on those Borg Warner parts? I am getting ready to do this to my 01 Ram. Been having that stupid 1763 code pop up and cant get rid of it. I have done just about everything now and the normal parts from Dodge are not working. So now, I am going to replace those parts with Borg Warner and also change out the wiring for these inside the trans pan. If it still does the same after the code, then I will do the wire harness from the top of the trans up to the computer.
I though your buddy was going to check the pressure?... borg warner parts arent going to do anything but last longer than oem.... If the new dealer parts you put in didnt solve it you likely in the same boat as total war and I were in and the errors were actually telling you that you have a problem with pressure....I installed the borg warner upgrade kit from ebay prior to having mine rebuilt...
as total mentioned his fluid and sensor were clean too... he still needed to have it rebuilt to fix it...

If your wiring got damaged you should be able to test for continuity or see the damage?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Total_War
Rookie

You guys are going to love this

Today, we finally hit 25c here and surprise surprise
The transmission started acting up again with all these new parts changed, $1150 bill later. I paid $400 for the rooster comb/manual valve(check ball removal)/Detent bearing change out, rest of it was on the warranty company.
I haven't done a full rebuild on the tranny yet
Just warranty work

So, took it into the transmission shop again
Hooked up their fancy computer and the pressure in the transmission was perfect
Didn't jump anywhere and stayed in spec
Just the shifting issues started happening again
It's being fixed again under warranty.

They are figuring now that the manual valve or something in the valve body that has the kickdown cable hooked into is sticking/fried
They grabbed the one behind the air filter, no sticking
Checked the lever that the cable hooks into on the transmission isn't stuck, no slack in the cable
This is just getting frustrating and I'm looking forward to just putting a performance transmission in it and forgetting it

As to your question on the Borg Warner part number
The bill doesn't list it but somewhere in this thread it was posted
Just double check page 2. Think it's Borg warner part 50185
Not sure on the Mopar Transducer(sensor) part number. Just phone the dealership with VIN

Last edited by Total_War; 04-23-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quick Reply: P1763 Code, Unbelievable