2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1763 Code, Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Total_War
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1763 Code, Unbelievable

Little bit pissed today

Truck was driving fine around town
Did my Rotor, Cap, Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wires today

I was on the Freeway with cruise control on
It did it's usual with speeding up on a hill once and while.
I was of course cancelling speed control once and while for vehicle not moving over.
Speed was 110-115 km/hr

Truck slowed down to come onto the Usual roads in the city off the freeway
I pulled into the bank. Shut it down. Took care of business

Came out, got back onto the road 60-70 km/hr
Started noticing the rpm's were climbing high, let my foot off the gas
It started grabbing gears finally. Had a very hard time getting 4th Gear going.
No Check Engine Light

Went to the house, parked the truck for 5 mins. Shut it down

Went back on the road to go get my Tranmission Filter Kit and it was doing the same thing.
High RPM's and not shifting without me letting my foot off the gas.
Next thing you know, Check Engine Light Came on

I tried to go back onto the freeway to get to my parts store.
Gave it some gas to speed up and pass a semi. Truck almost had no power. Hell of a time getting some speed up. I turned off the O/D and I got power finally.

I kept the over drive off climbing a Hill, finally switched it back on once I leveled out
Transmission started acting properly again, proper shifting everything
Got to the parts store, brought the OBD II Scanner to get a P1763 code.
Kind of figured that's what it would spit out with the symptoms I had and what I read around the forum. I cleared the computer. Grabbed my Tranmission Filter and got back in the truck

Tried to see if it would shoot the code again
I took my time, it shifted normally. No Problem
Went back on the freeway, Drove around 30-40 KM. Turned on the cruise control and let the truck do it's thing
Shifted normally on the hills. Went back onto the streets for a bit, cruised around. Shifted nice and smooth

Went back on the Freeway again, drove another 30-40 KM. Used my foot to control the speed for a bit, gave it some power when I had to and speed up. No problems.
Turned the speed control back on for a couple of good size hills, it shifted properly, nothing happening.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to throw the code again. Not weird shifting. Kind of Flabergasted here and lost.
I've had the truck parked for about 15 minutes now, going outside to turn it on and run it 5 mins and check the transmission dip stick. See how the fluid looks and check for shavings on some papertowel.
I'll let you guys know the results.

I'm thinking I should replace the governor Solenoid now because this happened, maybe it was just a coincidence and there was a surge of power in the system????
Looking for input and opinions here as i'm a little nervous now with this happening

Thanks guys

Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It will come back...and eventually it will go into limp home mode on you and not shift past second when you need it most... I would drop the pan remove and inspect the soleniod screen for blockage... clean it with contact cleaner or carb cleaner and check filter and such...if there's a lot of shavingssave for a rebuild... I bought myself 10,000 extra miles by replacing my soleniod before the torque converter let go.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably not just a coincidence. Since you're going in anyway, you might as well load up a new sensor and solenoid. The parts aren't that expensive, and it'd cost you more in headache and ATF than it's worth to go back in a second time.

When you need power for passing or pulling a grade, kick it out of overdrive manually. There's no sense stressing the transmission to push the overdrive unit when the push of a button will alleviate that stress on the already fragile goodies.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sensor and soleniod are close to $200.00 at dealer and napa...or you can get the better borg warner replacements on ebay for about $55 for soleniod and $50 for sensor.... I would check you old one..if the screen is plugged that means its working fine but it does have a plugged screen (spray it clean and reinstall) If its not then I would replace them both too...

Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Total_War
Rookie

OK

I checked the Fluid
It's perfect, nice and clean
Tried to find shavings on Papertowel. Very Very Light ammount. Hardy anything that I could see
I checked it 5 Times with the Truck in Neutral
Only thing I noticed checking it is the Fluid isn't in the Cross Hairs area, it's just barely sitting above minimum dot.
I'm tempted to throw in some Lucas Transmission Fix to help it out.

Just can't believe this happened, I haven't driven it hard or nothing
Been babying it since I got it.
If the Transmission is really on it's way out, i'm debating about not doing a fluid swap now and everything. Don't see any point in doing it if the Tranmission is just going to kick the bucket after 1 or 2 Oil Changes.

I work the rigs so this truck will be getting a performance transmission
No screwing around with this. Going to get one that will last. None of this factory replacement BS
I'm going to go check napa tomorrow for the Governor Solenoid and Sensor. See what they charge. I tried to check prices here at a place called Auto Value and they can't get the parts.
He gave me 2 names for Transmission shops that sell parts here in Calgary
Go check them out and see what they say.

You guys think it's worth it throw all this stuff at the transmission and cross my fingers to hope it don't go fast???
I still got my Jeep Wrangler and I will just start driving that again.
Park this truck, don't know. Figure out what i'm doing tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Total_War
I'm tempted to throw in some Lucas Transmission Fix to help it out.
Uh, don't say you weren't warned not to do that!

Just can't believe this happened, I haven't driven it hard or nothing
Been babying it since I got it.
Just driving it will do the trick (of breaking it) just fine. The factory trim 46R just isn't cut out for life in a full sized Ram.

You guys think it's worth it throw all this stuff at the transmission and cross my fingers to hope it don't go fast???
Personally, when I bought mine it was with the intention to get maybe five or six thousand miles out of it before swapping in a PATC Mega Viper. I only got a tad less than 2,000 miles out of it before it started slipping on the shift into overdrive, and flaring if there was any load at all during the shift. Knowing the stock 46R is not up to what these trucks demand of them and that a replacement was in my future anyway, I never even dropped the pan. I just called PATC. But I'm weird that way. I absolutely hate broken 5h17, and I won't have a vehicle that I cannot trust to take me anywhere I want to go whenever I want to go there.

I'd say that the decision should be based upon the depth of your checkbook and your risk tolerance. If the checkbook is deep and risk tolerance low, place the order. If the checkbook is shallow and the risk tolerance high, throw parts at it. If the two concerns are balanced flip a coin and pursue whichever course you hope for while the coin's in the air.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Total_War
Rookie

Well
Took your word for it, topped it up with Mobil 1 ATF+4 Fluid
Today I did a Seafoam Engine Flush and Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil Change with Mobil 1 Filter

And Surprise surprise, transmission started acting up again
I threw me the P1763 Code again, I got a scanner, cleared the computer
And now the truck is parked, I'm on the hunt for Borg Warnger Solenoid and Sensor
Apprently King-O-Matic here in Calgary carry's their parts.
Go have a talk with them tomorrow

The Truck will not be driven till I replace this part and sensor.
Can't believe this is happening but o well. Roll of the dice

Anything I should replace on the transmission besides those parts and the Transmission Filter?? Maybe do the Valve Body as well and cross my fingers??

Thanks guys
Have a good one

Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Nah, just do the sensor, solenoid, and filter. (along with the fluid.....)

Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Total_War
Rookie

Well
Just a rude piece of crap on the phOne at king o matic
They only sell to shops

Can I have the specific part numbers for borg Warner parts??
Refused to accept part markup from a shop.
Seeing all kinds of part numbers on eBay
Got some numbers out of their catalogue, just want to confirm they are correct
It's for a 46RE Transmission

Thanks guys

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it is truly the governor and/or speed sensors, you 'can' drive your truck w/o damaging it.. you just have to manually shift it instead of relying on it to do so..

Quick Reply: P1763 Code, Unbelievable