2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission issue...yay.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default transmission issue...yay.

Well fellas, i'm back after a LONG period of not being on here haha. just got a couple issues i need some opinions on.

my tranny is having some issues. first one is when i go to slow down, my truck will not down shift from 3rd to 2nd unless i almost come to a complete stop. and when i go to hit the gas, it wont downshift and whines like crazy. i have to manually down shift it.

2nd issue: my transmission overdrive off feature wont work. light doesnt come on or anything when i push the button, and its a new dash switch.

i'm thinking maybe trans o/d solenoid? any help is appreciated, thanks fellas!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM
gdstock
Legend

Maybe it's evil (from your sig!)

Strange symptoms for sure. Maybe OD but also may be TC not unlocking. Maybe start by checking TV cable, and if it is OK may need to drop pan and check solenoids and wiring.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

TV cable is properly adjusted. i made sure of that first thing.

you're definitely right though, its evil. haha.

and thats actually my next question, i planned on dropping the pan and checking everything, but i'm not putting a stock pan back on again. i want to be able to regularly change fluid without dropping the pan everytime. and i want to be able to put a temp sensor in it as well. anyone know of any good pans that are decently priced? and where i can find them? i've only been able to find one on summit, and its a good pan, but they want $150...idk if i'm ready to fork that over just yet. i'd be happy with just a pan that has a drain plug haha.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
gdstock
Legend

You can add a drain plug to yours. Check your local auto parts store or rockauto.com.

I bought a Derale deep pan from a member here and love it. Has extra capacity and cooling tubes in bottom, and a port for tem sensor. $150 is probably not a bad prcie for an aftermarket deep pan.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Johnny2Bad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Derale is a nice pan, but you can get ones for less than $150. The B&M is about $130 and I've seen others for less. A lot of aftermarket pans for these trannys seem to go for the wrong side of $200 though.

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 03-04-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 AM
gdstock
Legend

A process that requires welding or the cast aluminum will increase cost. Stock pan with drain plug is the economy way to go and will work well.

Tha addition of a trans oil cooler is a pretty good investment. High heat = tranny failure!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...ans_s/9171.htm
For 154.84 you get Derale pan, the extension, filter and gasket.
That’s a great deal.

Dave

Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mine started behaving that way when the torque converter started to fail... eventually it would stall at stops.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

I already have a tranny cooler put that in when I swapped the tranny. I think I'm just gonna drill a hole and put in a bung for a plug. It'll work.

Quick Reply: transmission issue...yay.