2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fastman t body 50mm

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
No, I'm not wrong.. the taper from 50mm to 46mm is inside/under the flies.. . Now, I wonder if you've ever actually handled one at all..
I could say the same thing about you.. You couldnt have it more backwards...I just dremeled mine out on saturday...the hole was definatly smaller on the top.... look at my pics in my album...
here's some more info to prove my point..
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46431
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ody-mod-3.html
look at post #3
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-question.html

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.....asp?id=155366

post #52 in link below....
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ody-mod-6.html

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-06-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more time, and for the benefit of other readers:

No, you are wrong about this, as well as a myriad of other things you've professed to have experience with over the past several months.. your pictures provide no proof.. you are more than mistaken, and I'll straight up suggest you are lying about nodding your own throttle body..

For others:

The throttle body ventura, between the horns on a stock tb is 50mm.. the plates themselves are 50mm.. the taper happens under the plates, where it terminates at 46mm.. if you drill or grind the orifice into a perfect cylinder, you have opened your tb to 50mm.. its an easy task..

You don't have to install new butterflies if you do it this way..

If you open it beyond 50mm, you'll need new butterflies..

All this mod does to a mildly modded engine is allow more air faster.. it serves no gain other than throttle response...

I'm done with this now, but I urge others who know what they are talking about to share in effort to clear this up..

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM
drewactual
Champion

Actually, I'm not done..

How would you profess the butterflies, which we both agree are 50mm, would freely open and close if the passage directly above them is of differing diameter?? Is there, by your figuring, some black magic or deviation from physics happening under there?

The taper happens lower in the passage where the 50mm blades have free movement above..

Okay, NOW I'm finished..

Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I'm not done..

How would you profess the butterflies, which we both agree are 50mm, would freely open and close if the passage directly above them is of differing diameter?? Is there, by your figuring, some black magic or deviation from physics happening under there?

The taper happens lower in the passage where the 50mm blades have free movement above..

Okay, NOW I'm finished..
Sorry man but you are the one that's WRONG!! The stepdowns inside the bores are ABOVE the blades and chokes the TB down to 47mm. Below the blades it's 50mm. I've modified over 460 of these TBs and I should know where the restrictions to the air flow lives inside the bores.

Augiedoggy is 100% correct so it really makes me wonder if YOU'RE the one than has never had one in your hands.

Last edited by bwdakrt; 03-07-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Sorry man but you are the one that's WRONG!! The stepdowns inside the bores are ABOVE the blades and chokes the TB down to 47mm. Below the blades it's 50mm. I've modified over 460 of these TBs and I should know where the restrictions to the air flow lives inside the bores.

Augiedoggy is 100% correct so it really makes me wonder if YOU'RE the one than has never had one in your hands.
Thankyou...I was hoping someone else with experience would chime in...I was going to purchase one of your 52mm throttlebodies until the funds ended up going towards replacing a cracked header

One more time, and for the benefit of other readers:

No, you are wrong about this, as well as a myriad of other things you've professed to have experience with over the past several months.. your pictures provide no proof.. you are more than mistaken, and I'll straight up suggest you are lying about nodding your own throttle body..

For others:

The throttle body ventura, between the horns on a stock tb is 50mm.. the plates themselves are 50mm.. the taper happens under the plates, where it terminates at 46mm.. if you drill or grind the orifice into a perfect cylinder, you have opened your tb to 50mm.. its an easy task..

You don't have to install new butterflies if you do it this way..

If you open it beyond 50mm, you'll need new butterflies..

All this mod does to a mildly modded engine is allow more air faster.. it serves no gain other than throttle response...

I'm done with this now, but I urge others who know what they are talking about to share in effort to clear this up..
What exactly are you talking about when you say along with a myriad of other things? Ive only really posted about my recent injector upgrade and stainless header comparision....How exactly are my obsevations and experiences wrong? I posted links to most of what I found on the injectors...I'm sorrry if it doesnt coincide with the experience you've had (with completely different injectors btw) I have stated time and again my truck is in pieces right now while I sort out a misfire condition and take care or a cracked header isssue which leads me to my next thread which was my obsevations which were posted to weed out popular conjecture posted by people assuming things without first hand knowledge like you did here...

And if you look at my pic in my album you'll see I modified my throttlebody on the same counter as I took my header pics on....I suppose I stole all these pics from someone else?... come on man... what would I honestly gain? I'm here to help others learn what I learned here and from experience.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-07-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The first rule of fight club is, don't talk about fight club...

I'm pretty sure the venturi taper does happen pre blades, the 46mm (i always thought it was actually 48mm, but i could be wrong too) happens right before the blades and there's a little shelf that the throttle blades fit into underneath the downward dipping end of the blades, iirc. Might be a lip underneath the upward side tilting blades as well. Its been a while since i really looked at one closely. Either there's a lip or a nice dirt ring there. I think its a lip though, as the tb blades would only relax just so far with the adjustment screw backed out, it didn't travel a negative pitch, i do remember that. I think that lip helps smooth out the idle and initial tip in for the PCM. I know Dan Arcand's 50mm tb had this lip, and Dan told me he opens it up and machines it in basically like its stock, but bigger throughout, and without the air horns or other parts that get in the way of flow.

The bottom line is that everyone is wrong at some time. I'm probably wrong more than I'm right. No reason for anybody to get their manties in a wad over an internet forum. Healthy debate is good, it usually its better than believing something blindly, like its gospel.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
drewactual
Champion

I didn't mod my throttle body.. I simply waited for the fastman to arrive, pulled the oe, sat them side by side looking at the differences, wondering why I paid so much for a simple procedure, marveling about how much restriction the horns must create, and going about my business putting the fastman on and returning the core..

Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
EHS22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seriously considered getting a Fastmann 50mm throttle body for my 5.2 with no mods to the engine. will you see an increase in MPG? throttle response?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by EHS22
I have seriously considered getting a Fastmann 50mm throttle body for my 5.2 with no mods to the engine. will you see an increase in MPG? throttle response?
You could honestly but one modified exactly the same way for much less or do it yourself with a dremel tool and an hour or two... Just look at the links I posted earlier in this thread...some show step by step how easy it really is to do...52mm on the other hand is a little more involved since new butterflies and lining them up perfect can be tough to do...but even those can be bought on ebay for 139 bucks for basically the same thing as fastman sells but it may not look as flashy... for those of us that own pickup trucks and dont pull off the air filter to show it off to people that shouldnt matter... but hey some people here polish thier plenum plates so I give up on making sense of why people do things sometimes..

Drew thanks for admitting you were mistaken (I think?) It takes a big man to own up to being wrong...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-07-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Lemunman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to know if the pits were a problem haha . It does taper before the blade sorry Augie is right . so far idk about mpg but when you put in 36s you sorta stop caring .butttt throotle response was alot nicer a plus product in my mind

Quick Reply: Fastman t body 50mm