2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake problems fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
wulfgar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problems fixed

Well about a week ago I changed the front brake pads. Since I changed them my pedal would go from spongy to almost right. I bleed the brakes twice. They still didn't feel right for new pads. Well this morning I checked my fluids and I added a little brake fluid and topped it off. The brakes felt great after I dropped my daughter off at preschool. I went to pull it to the gas station and my truck wasn't stopping very good then all the sudden the pedal went all the way to the floor and I had no brakes. Glad I was in town doing 30. Parked it and I started checking out my brakes. I found that I had blown out my rear steel line. It had rotted through at the clip on the frame. About a foot of it had almost completely rusted away. I patched the line with a new 12" section. Have to wait for the parts store to order my new line. Took me about and hour or more of bleeding out the air and the old murky brown fluid. The brakes feel a lot better now. Still doesn't feel as stiff pedaled as I think it should be but 100% better than before the pad change. One question about ABS. After the line blew I seen the yellow ABS light and red brake light. I noticed that in the fuse box under the hood I am missing the two ABS relays did the 94 1500 4x4 have ABS? I took a few pics that I'll post in a few. Love this forum everything that I have done to my truck I learned how to do it and trouble shoot problems from the DIY and all of your guys input and all of your wisdom. Thanks a ton.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
wulfgar
Amateur
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

My 96 1500 4x4 has no abs relays but the light comes on if there's an issue as well, my guess is it doesnt have it as my father bought it brand new and never touched that stuff I know it did not come with them...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
wulfgar
Amateur

That's what I figured. Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

The relays and such are for the folks that have 4wal. Us po' boys that only have RWAL don't get them. All 2nd gen dodges had at least RWAL.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
wulfgar
Amateur

Thanks HeyYou. Hell I'm so poor lately my ABS probably done up an left me for a nicer truck.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I hear ya on that one man...... They say money talks, but, I rarely have enough to even make a whisper, and even then, all it says is: "Good bye".........

Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM
wulfgar
Amateur

I also noticed while I was bleeding the front that one of the three bolts for the new hub I put in was about to fall out. I tightened them all back down just a little over spec. If they loosen back up should I use the dreaded lock tight on them?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you use loktite on 'em, use the blue stuff, so, if you need to remove them at some point, you will be able to.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
wulfgar
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I hear ya on that one man...... They say money talks, but, I rarely have enough to even make a whisper, and even then, all it says is: "Good bye".........
Hit the proverbial nail on the head with that. Lol

Quick Reply: Brake problems fixed