2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the spectre cai, you can get it for $70 shipped on eBay

Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here and go against the consensus.

Not a fan of the Spectre filters myself. We did some informal testing of one on a truck (former moderators truck from here actually) that we felt was getting way too much crud in the oil and an overloaded oil filter in a relatively short period of time.

Not a real scientific test but I could set the filter on my workbench, open end down and blow PVC dust right through the filter element and have a nice pile on my bench when I lifted it up (I was building him a replacement CAI because his Spectre CAI broke from road vibrations).

We went to the local Advance and bout a K&N cone for $35 and did the same test and had NO fine powder on my workbench.

The Spectre seemed to flow just as well but obviously didn't filter worth sh*t compared to the K&N. Now granted, this was about a nine month old Spectre vs. a NIB K&N, but still the Spectre showed me enough to personally not trust it.

Run you whatever filters you want, but it was enough for me to stay clear and spend a couple extra bucks. Now on my truck, I run a K&N filter AND a pre-filter, but half my driving is on red clay dust, Georgia dirt roads...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-14-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my K&N FIPK-II.

The benefits that I see are greatly reduced intake air restriction (so more available power) and the washable/reusable element. If I'm going to go where it's soupy I can put a "drycharger" on and not worry about water sneaking in and making a piston go pop. Totally irrelevant: I like the sound of a Chrysler small block breathing, and with the K&N it's quite audible.

I've heard from others what Hammer's heard and seen: The Spectre filter lets too much pass, resulting in prematurely dirty oil. I've never had one, myself -- I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others when I can.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 AM
IHfarmer3339
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going to spend the extra money on a K&N high flow drop in air filter. Thats what my dad uses in his 300 straight 6 and he got over 300,000 miles with it.

Quick Reply: K&N Questions