2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

frustrated beyond belief

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Don't pull the head just yet......

Get yourself a punch, and a hammer. Use the punch and hammer to shatter the easyout. They are extremely hard, but, brittle..... shouldn't take too much.

Use a small drill bit, and drill ALL THE WAY thru the bolt. Use a torch to blow THRU the hole, and blow the remains of the bolt out. You won't warp the head, it will transfer the heat out, so long as you don't stay there too long. Get as much of the bolt out as you possibly can without also blowing out the threads...... then just use the right size tap to clean it up.

I had to do both my front bolt holes using this method. No head warping, no other problems.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or, you could try my socket method if all else fails before you pull the head.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
Or, you could try my socket method if all else fails before you pull the head.
Tried your socket method before the stupid bolt snapped off flush with the head.
I know they say everything happens for a reason and what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger......well I really want to know the reasons behind the crap that I keep getting dealt because it's making me so strong I'm gonna live to be 300!!!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Redneck
Tried your socket method before the stupid bolt snapped off flush with the head.
I know they say everything happens for a reason and what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger......well I really want to know the reasons behind the crap that I keep getting dealt because it's making me so strong I'm gonna live to be 300!!!
I love your attitude.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't pull the head just yet......

Get yourself a punch, and a hammer. Use the punch and hammer to shatter the easyout. They are extremely hard, but, brittle..... shouldn't take too much.

Use a small drill bit, and drill ALL THE WAY thru the bolt. Use a torch to blow THRU the hole, and blow the remains of the bolt out. You won't warp the head, it will transfer the heat out, so long as you don't stay there too long. Get as much of the bolt out as you possibly can without also blowing out the threads...... then just use the right size tap to clean it up.

I had to do both my front bolt holes using this method. No head warping, no other problems.
I've already drilled all the way through the bolt. did that before I put the easy out in it. So I'm guessing that will make beating that thing out a little easier. As for the torch, all I have is a standard plumbers torch (usually used with propane). Mines got a turbo tip on it and got a can of mapp gas which burns hotter than propane. Think that might work?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mapp burns a lot hotter than propane. I would give it a try.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

BIG THANKS to Hey You!! The punch worked, got the easy out shattered and out. Tried to torch the bolt out with no luck, so I opted for drilling the rest of it out. That was a bit more work but saved me a few bucks. I then tapped the hole and I now have the intake back on. Get the rest finished tomorrow. Not bad for a guy who hasn't ever gone this deep into a motor in the last 20 years, at least I don't think. Truth will come out tomorrow when it's all back together and I fire it up and check for vacuum leaks. Big thanks to EVERYONE here in DF also!! Thanks to y'all I was able to get the info needed to attempt this project, (haynes manual helped a little) but mostly info gathered here.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:40 PM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear man! I'm going to remember that little easy out shatter trick too, thanks HeyYou!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 AM
ClubCab5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics pics pics

Attached Thumbnails frustrated beyond belief-t-happen-the-unwritten-law-of-internet.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Originally Posted by ClubCab5.9
pics pics pics
here are all the pics I have, sorry I didn't take more just wanted to get this done. Might do more pics when I start on the other truck.

http://s1149.photobucket.com/albums/...ballplyr4life/

Quick Reply: frustrated beyond belief