2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

frustrated beyond belief

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry frustrated beyond belief

Ok, I have been working on a second 01 dodge ram that I bought a few weeks ago. I've spent the last week replacing, shocks (still O.E.), Tie Rods (Still O.E.), brakes; including calipers and wheel cylinders and rotors, rear diff gasket, new trans solenoid and filter, and various other front end parts. Well today I began the LAST item on the list, the plenum fix. All was going smooth until I began removing intake bolts, amazingly I didn't break any. A p.o. did that for me!!! All came out fine except front bolt on passenger side which was the one that was broken. Unfortunately it must have been broken for a while because it was so seized in there that P.B. Blaster, Deep Creep, wouldn't even let it budge. Then to make matters worse I broke an F****n easy out off in the damn bolt!! Any ideas how to fix this without removing the entire head (which I have never done). With the amount of money already spent, and the time invested in a truck that I haven't driven since the drive home from buying it I hope you can appreciate my frustration.
Truck is an 01 dodge ram 1500 4x4 360 off road pkg 4.10 gears 305/70/17 Maxis Bighorn tires.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it broken off flush? Can you get a pair of vice grips on it?

Another long shot is to take a small grinder like a dremel and cut a slot in the top of the bolt to fit a flathead screwdriver. It doesn't work for every application but its an idea...

I'm sure someone will post a way that will help ya man.

Keep soaking it in PB while your figuring out a way to remove it...

Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

yeah I tried the vise grips and the screwdriver slot trick before resorting to the easy out. The stupid thing is now broke flush with the damn easy out inside the bolt. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

well one way you can do it, if you have a welder or access to one. is to weld a nut on top of the stuck bolt, you will weld the inside of the nut to the top of the stuck bolt then just hope and pray the weld holds long enough to get the bolt out.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

no welder and no access to one, plus I'd be worried about the heat warping the head. I was thinking about drilling it out and re-tapping the hold but the the hardened metal from the easy out stuck in there I don't know of a bit that will drill through it

Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

I had the same problem with mine. I couldnt get vise grips on it so i just kept spraying it with mopar penetrant and hitting the top of the bolt with a hammer.

I eventually cut a slot in it and used a screw driver, but one of the ears broke off.....

I ended up taking a 1/4" drive 1/4" socket and pounded it onto the bolt and out she came.

Oh and unlike you my broken bolt was on the passenger side very back bolt.

Good luck bud!!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 PM
orangewreck
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same happened to me. Passenger side, rearmost bolt. I couldn't get a drill on it for an easy out, and every time I cut a slot into it, the bolt would disintegrate further. I ended up pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop. It wasn't that big of a deal to pull it off, then get it back on. The biggest pain was cleaning the old gasket material off the block. In retrospect, I should have pulled it right away, rather than fooling around, wasting time trying to get the bolt out.

Name:  IMG_1078.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  59.5 KB

Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

I was thinking that's where I'm going to end up. What did the machine shop charge? I ask because I can go to Pull-A-Part (junk yard not far from me) and get a head with a warranty for like $40

Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM
orangewreck
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Redneck
I was thinking that's where I'm going to end up. What did the machine shop charge? I ask because I can go to Pull-A-Part (junk yard not far from me) and get a head with a warranty for like $40
$25.00 to drill out the bolt and install a heli-coil. I dropped it off mid-afternoon and picked it up the next morning. I had a helper hand me the repaired head while I was standing in the engine bay. That made getting it back on way easier.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Kentucky Fried Redneck
Professional

Originally Posted by orangewreck
$25.00 to drill out the bolt and install a heli-coil. I dropped it off mid-afternoon and picked it up the next morning. I had a helper hand me the repaired head while I was standing in the engine bay. That made getting it back on way easier.
That's how I've been doing most of the work (standing in the engine bay)
I just watched a you tube video on how to remove the head, Doesn't seem too difficult, will verify with the Haynes manual tomorrow (got a more inclusive manual on my computer, but it's like 2800 pages and a pain to locate info in. I use it as my last resort when I cant locate the info anywhere else.) Then locate a machine shop.

Quick Reply: frustrated beyond belief