2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Fluid Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Dariel Bonilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Consumption

I am having issues with my breaks. I was driving and i was coming to the light and when i pressed the brakes, the break pedal went really low and the ABS and brake light turned on. I was still able to stop. When i got home the following morning, i checked the reservoir and it was really low. I added break fluid. I just checked this morning and the break fluid is almost all gone. I looked around the master cylinder and i did not notice any leaks. My neighbor told me to check the wheels, which i haven't done yet. What could be the cause of this problem? thank you.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The "brake line" running along side the fuel tank is most likely blown. Very common issue. Do not drive it until you fix it. Or a front line will blow also and you'll have no brakes at all, and something like this may happen. Or a lot worse.

Name:  DSCF0534.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  184.3 KB

Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Dariel Bonilla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have drums in the back and disc in the front. I was looking along at the lines and i didn't it? you think that you can pin point it for me? thank you. If i take it to a shop about how much you think is going to cost me? thank you so much.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I already did pin point it for you, "the line running beside the fuel tank" . Sometimes the leak is hard to detect, and of course it could be a wheel cylinder (or something else for that matter). And I have no idea how much a shop would charge. As I do my own work and prices vary with location anyway. Look yourself first and find the leak. Has to be dripping somewhere.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would guess it should cost no more than $200 at at shop unless more stuff starts breaking. most shops charge between $50-$100/h. new brake line should not cost more than $30. if nothing was to break like the wheel cylinder bleeder screws the job might be cheaper.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check along the frame by the fuel tank and also pull drums off and check wheel cylinders. Bad brakes equals bad stuff.....as zman's photo shows!

And someone could die.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Consumption