2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge ram 1500, new tranny, wont start, help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
townshend2372
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Dodge ram 1500, new tranny, wont start, help

Hey all,

I've got a 2001 dodge ram 1500 off road, auto reg cab short bed. I bought it in 2003 with 18k miles and it now has 91k.

I recently have a friend of mine swap the automatic transmission out, the original was slipping bad. I picked up a tranny out of a 2001 carbon copy of my truck (even the color!) and had it professionally rebuilt.

Swap went smooth, I drove it home that night. Drove it to work two of five days the following week and went to jump in on the weekend and it wouldn't start. Gauges didn't much move when ignition in 'on' position. Milage indicators blinks five times and it says "NO BUS" or "NO BU5".

I don't know if this could be related but we did the heater core the same night as the transmission.

Any idea what it could be? I searched around and could not find much about this code. He figured it was a computer issue because we couldn't scan the truck. Has anyone had issues with this?

Thanks to anyone who reads through!!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

For starters... Check the connections at the PCM and the wires for the crank sensor, as well as the sensor itself for damage. Also try swapping the ASD relay with the horn relay.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
townshend2372

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
For starters... Check the connections at the PCM and the wires for the crank sensor, as well as the sensor itself for damage. Also try swapping the ASD relay with the horn relay.

Great, thanks, Im going to pull it in the shop tomorrow afternoon and check out the pcm and crank sensor, dug a little and it seems a lot of people have issues with crankshaft sensor after tranny or engine work.

I am not familiar with the asd and horn relay, what would this do?

Thank you

Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

They're in the fuse box under the hood. Swap the Auto Shut Down relay with the Horn relay (since they are interchangeable). Make sure the horn works first.

I'm not sure of the exact science of it but if the ASD relay interrupts/shorts the connections between the computers, then they can't communicate-setting off the no bus. Usually shorts or bad wiring from certain sensors (i think it's all 5 volt sensors or something to that effect) like the crank sensor. And since the tranny swap was just performed it's likely that.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
townshend2372

They're in the fuse box under the hood. Swap the Auto Shut Down relay with the Horn relay (since they are interchangeable). Make sure the horn works first.

I'm not sure of the exact science of it but if the ASD relay interrupts/shorts the connections between the computers, then they can't communicate-setting off the no bus. Usually shorts or bad wiring from certain sensors (i think it's all 5 volt sensors or something to that effect) like the crank sensor. And since the tranny swap was just performed it's likely that.
Great, Sounds logical. I will give everything a shot tomorrow and report back. I appreciate your time!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would pull the crank sensor out and check it. Look for metal filings on the end (it's magnetic). Check wire to sensor for damage or skinned insulation. This is VERY easy to damage swapping tranny out.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 PM
townshend2372

Thanks again for your prompt help. Found last night that we pinched the crank sensor wire in the bell housing. Installed a new one, about $30 bucks and it fixed my problem!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I know most people on here recommend using crank sensors from the dealer only. Not aftermarket ones. So if your truck starts acting up, I'd look into getting one from the dealer.

But you should be okay. Glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge ram 1500, new tranny, wont start, help