2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

this is what i found in the trans pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Que1990
Sorry vwandDodge just someone that jumped the gun a little bit lol should change the tittle on this one to guys ****s the bed when doing trans fluid change lol
Lol, well thanks for postin pictures up, kinda helped me out a little cause I had about the same amount of junk around my magnet as yours, always kinda wondered if it was excessive or not. My fluid was much cleaner tho

Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
you could likely get away with using an additive and one of the newer universal fluid for much less
no, no, no....
ATF+4 only - nothing else, no additives, no substitutes.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
no, no, no....
ATF+4 only - nothing else, no additives, no substitutes.

If you do research on the fluid characteristics of transmission fluids (I did but the research is on another laptiop), you will find that the coefficient of friction is different for each type. The clutches for these transmissions calls specifically for ATF+4. Use of anything else or any additives that will effect such coefficients is not recommended. I have seen evidence if incorrect fluid in trannys while I was doing the research last summer while I was preparing to rebuild mine.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a remote filter for my truck but have yet to install it due to conflicting reports.........I have heard that a remote filter reduces flow through the transmission and can cause issues???

Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Not as much of a restriction as the one way valve when it gets plugged up......

Remote filter won't hurt anything. Cleaner fluid is NOT a bad thing. Just keep the filter changed on a regular basis.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not as much of a restriction as the one way valve when it gets plugged up......
Oh yeah! that reminds me. Thats my next mod.........

Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
If you do research on the fluid characteristics of transmission fluids (I did but the research is on another laptiop), you will find that the coefficient of friction is different for each type. The clutches for these transmissions calls specifically for ATF+4. Use of anything else or any additives that will effect such coefficients is not recommended. I have seen evidence if incorrect fluid in trannys while I was doing the research last summer while I was preparing to rebuild mine.
I know I'm gonna open a can of worms There are a lot of opinions and half truths about this subject and our particular transmissions.. and there are additives that change those friction values like Lubeguard which make the fluid perform just like the ATF+3 it left the factory with and actually run cooler to boot..
Plus from what I have read on this subject posted by the transmission guys when googling this subject is the 46re was designed to use dextron2 or ATF+3 like it says in the manual and dipstick there nothing special about this particular transmission during the 2nd generation years that requires the special fluid. (although there was something mentioned about the later 2nd gen transmissions actually benefiting more from ATF+4, why I dont remember) (they are actually not too different from the 727 trannies as far as how they work mechanically with the fluid from what I've read.) Of course Dodge would prefer you use their licensed fluid and give them $$... I did some research on the fluid as as well... the Chrysler ATF fluid was developed for a specific minivan transmission dodge had issues using other fluid in. Dodge recommends the latest ATF+4 fluid for all the transmissions that are compatible with it and came from the factory with some form of it, Those that absolutely need it and those that really dont. It makes things easy. Our transmission will work with other universal fluids on the market today. A lot has improved in transmission fluids... There's a member here named "Halfamil" who had put almost 300,000 miles on a rebuilt 46re with Dextron2 in it with no issues. (He had over half a million miles on his ram total.) I also had a long conversation with the guy that rebuilt my transmission who procedded to lecture me about how these older transmissions have no special technology to warrant special fluid and the only ones that do were some of the older ford transmissions and many of the newer ones.. There is a lot of speculation and difference of opinion about what is needed now for these transmissions even though its clearly not what was necessarily needed when they were built. Will I use ATF+4 when I have my fluid changed ..yeah probably even though thats not what the shop that rebuilt it or is warrantying it put in..I was nervous about it and put another bottle of the Lube guard stuff since it is even recommended by the OEM car makers..but its shifting fine and the temps are good so it has to be working correctly.

I merely stated if he was going to change it in a couple days it would have been more economical to use a replacement fluid for the Dextron 2 dodge stated could be used since it was going to be dumped and replaced in short order...
I wonder with all the aftermarket clutches and converters and such in many of these transmissions and the different makeup of each how they would specifically require a special fluid other than what the other transmissions which use the exact same clutch materials and technology use... Many state it has to be used but no one can seem to give an actual reason why? what specifically breaks or wears out if another fluid is used? Its not like these transmissions hold up well regardless of whats used so?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-27-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Que1990

yea sounds like mine to thanks everyone for the great info

Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked API data. I do know that the standard OEM clutches appear to be different from the material on late odel Chevy trannys, but do not know waht the material specs are. Also, when buying the red alto clutches form Wittrans, the y told me specifgically to use ATF+4, and after spending the time and money, I wasn't going to take any chances.

I know there have been different formulas in anti foaming agents and such between dexron II and ATF+4, but I cannot recall the specifics. I know when I changed the fluid in my wife's Hyundai, I had some difficulty finding the correct fluid.

Based on this, I am hesitant to recommend anything other than +4. I know that on some things folks may have their own preference, and that is fine. I may try to find the API data that I read (I sepnd way too much time doing research - anyone want to read a copy of S.1925?) and put it on one of my file share servers and post a link for anyone that wants to read it. Lots of dull and boring info - but lots of info.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I checked API data. I do know that the standard OEM clutches appear to be different from the material on late odel Chevy trannys, but do not know waht the material specs are. Also, when buying the red alto clutches form Wittrans, the y told me specifgically to use ATF+4, and after spending the time and money, I wasn't going to take any chances.

I know there have been different formulas in anti foaming agents and such between dexron II and ATF+4, but I cannot recall the specifics. I know when I changed the fluid in my wife's Hyundai, I had some difficulty finding the correct fluid.

Based on this, I am hesitant to recommend anything other than +4. I know that on some things folks may have their own preference, and that is fine. I may try to find the API data that I read (I sepnd way too much time doing research - anyone want to read a copy of S.1925?) and put it on one of my file share servers and post a link for anyone that wants to read it. Lots of dull and boring info - but lots of info.
many of the newer transmission do require full synthetic fluids... like Toyotas... I never said all fluids are fine for all trannies... just that the guys that rebuild these stated the particular ones in the older 2nd generation rams had no actual NEED for the ATF+4 fluid. there was a big article on it in one of the transmission sites I came across...

I also was skeptical and asked the shop about it and he said he uses a universal fluid with different additive packages added depending on what the manufacturer recommends and then went on to say there wasnt anything special about my tranny to actually warrant it anyways... I added more of it to be sure after researching its effects on the fluid... apparently many shops dont even carry ATF+4 from what I read... if it really didnt work and caused them to come back for warranty work dont you think it would make sense for them to carry it?

Here's an interesting article on the subject....
http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/1...nd-dex3merc-v/

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-27-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: this is what i found in the trans pan