2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012 | 11:09 AM
Steffenaj14
|
Rookie
Default antenna question

has anyone had to re-wire their antenna or move their antenna or wire a cb radio antenna?

my antenna got tightened too tight and the part where it screws in snapped. so instead of trying to mess with it i just got an unused cb radio antenna, mounted it in the front right corner of my bed and ran regular wire from the existing antenna wire to the new one. well the radio reception sucks now lol.

anyone know whats going on?

Old 03-28-2012 | 11:36 AM
gdstock
Legend

Different antenna for difference radio frequency. Wavelength is too far off for CB antenna to work on this.

Did the threaded piece of the antenna mast break off? If so, you should be able to drill out and remove. If it is the piece on the fender, you can get another mounting piece from JY pretty cheap I think. Dealer should be able to order as well.

Old 03-28-2012 | 12:40 PM
Steffenaj14
|
Rookie

i like the look of the bigger antenna on the back.. if i can find a new antenna to mount back there will it work? the antenna wire that i had to run wire from had one copper wire inside a plastic tube then on the outside of that tube was a wire "coat" then that was surrounded by rubber insulator. i had to connect it to the wire on the inside of the plastic and put insulation around that so the wire coat thing wouldnt interfere. is that right?

Old 03-28-2012 | 12:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steffenaj14
i like the look of the bigger antenna on the back.. if i can find a new antenna to mount back there will it work? the antenna wire that i had to run wire from had one copper wire inside a plastic tube then on the outside of that tube was a wire "coat" then that was surrounded by rubber insulator. i had to connect it to the wire on the inside of the plastic and put insulation around that so the wire coat thing wouldnt interfere. is that right?
Yep, its coaxial cable. Same stuff the cable tv companies use. You can buy the stuff at the hardware store.

Old 03-28-2012 | 01:55 PM
Steffenaj14
|
Rookie

so i should use that type cable instead of just regular wire? will that clear up some of the channels? its not that all channels are fuzzy. but some of the ones a normal radio used to pick up it is fuzzy. others are okay

Old 03-28-2012 | 10:28 PM
tom d

Regular wire, as you have discovered, won't work very well.

The coax coming out of your radio to the antenna has a center conductor and a ground, or "wire coat" as you call it.

If you want to use a cb antenna to receive, it should work ok. It's not like you are going to be transmitting on it, so being longer than necessary shouldn't hurt.

You can splice the coax together.

Connect the center wire of each together.
Tape well.
Connect the shield (wire coat, first time I've heard it called that :-)) of each together.
Tape well.
Connect the other end to the cb antenna properly, center conductor to the antenna, shield to ground. If the coax you have with the cb antenna already has a PL-259 screw on connector for the antenna, just splice the other end onto you radio coax under the dash.

Or go the easy route, and pick up another OEM antenna at the JY. Which would be my first choice.

Old 03-28-2012 | 10:37 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

I'd just get a different mount from the junk yard. If ya like the look of a big antenna install a cb

Old 03-28-2012 | 10:43 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

the antenna will actually work just fine. i can receive cb stuff with my vhf antenna and get standard STEREO stations with my cb antenna. you just of course cannot transmit.

Quick Reply: antenna question