2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats wrong with my truck???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Mitch Streur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1995 Dodge ram 1500. Ill drive around for 20 minutes or so once the engine warms up and the oil thins out once i come to and idle my oil light will flicker. the oil level is fine plenty of oil. My thoughts are if the pump was going bad would there be lifter tick?

Any thoughts?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972

Haha no worries. I used that thread last Monday to clean my IAC.
Well did it fix the problem? Or am I just trolling?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Well did it fix the problem? Or am I just trolling?
Haha it made it much better, but the o2 was the real problem. It will get a new one next week.

Anyway,
Originally Posted by Mitch Streur
I have a 1995 Dodge ram 1500. Ill drive around for 20 minutes or so once the engine warms up and the oil thins out once i come to and idle my oil light will flicker. the oil level is fine plenty of oil. My thoughts are if the pump was going bad would there be lifter tick?

Any thoughts?
The general answer to this is to mechanically test/verify oil pressure, then base any needed repairs off of those results, as the oil pressure sending unit can have quirks.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
If it's the cat that is rattling and not just the heat shield, then the cat is clogged, period.

And here is a link for cleaning the IAC properly. Either way, disconnect the negative battery cable before unplugging,replacing,removing or cleaning any electrical parts.
I disagree with that. The catalytic converter can rattle and not be clogged at all. The innards of the cat converter can break away from the inner walls of the converter, causing the rattle. The longer you drive it that way, the more the innards rattle around inside and break into smaller pieces, ultimately possibly clogging the exhaust, possibly not. If it rattles, the converter is bad, but not necessarily clogged. Maybe that is what you meant in the first place.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Silverdodge2001
Amateur

Sorry for the slow response. Removed the o2 sensor yesterday completely from the truck(o2 sensor has about 75 miles on it btw). Issue still remains, I'm pretty sure the rattling i was hearing was from the heat shield above the catalytic converter. I also pulled the IAC(which had been replaced about 500 miles ago) and made sure it was clean and the port was still clean everything looked good their.

So now I'm looking at the ckp? thing looks like a bitch to get to and I don't have skinny arms .

Thanks again to everyone that has responded thus far.

Last edited by Silverdodge2001; 03-31-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's really not that hard to get to. I don't know if its harder with an automatic, but I didn't have any real issues... just head out there with the 1/4" allen wrench, and be patient

Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah I thought it was a bitch to relace and I have a body lift which gives me more clearance for changing as well as the distributor...

Do you have an android phone by chance?

If you do you can get an "ELM327" bluetooth adapter (from ebay) that works with this free software called torque which gives you real time sensor readings like your 02 sensors and intake pressure and fuel trims... it really helps me pinpoint whats going on... even while driving. plus you can get mpg and hp reading and such from it.
They are under $20.00 shipped just remember to get a version 1.5 or higher..

They do work with blue tooth enabled pc's and even iphones I believe but are harder to setup... they also make usb versions

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by jswain
I disagree with that. The catalytic converter can rattle and not be clogged at all. The innards of the cat converter can break away from the inner walls of the converter, causing the rattle. The longer you drive it that way, the more the innards rattle around inside and break into smaller pieces, ultimately possibly clogging the exhaust, possibly not. If it rattles, the converter is bad, but not necessarily clogged. Maybe that is what you meant in the first place.
Ok, I meant to say "bad". Either way, it's 'bad".

Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Silverdodge2001
Amateur

Nah no android phone but that sounds pretty cool. When those that changed their ckp.. Did you go from underneath or some how go from the wheel well on the outside? Seems like I could almost get to it from there if the plastic guard was removed. The way my y-pipe comes off my exhaust it seems like I would have to use an extension... a long extension and it looks like the bolts are angled more to the top.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You are better off doing it from the top blind. Once you do it, the next time will be a breeze. I hope you bought a good one, as in dealer. If not, match the old one to the new one, and make sure it is the same length.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my truck???