2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Ram makover

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:26 PM
jwfRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much did your set of wrangers run you if you dont mind me asking?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I wasn't saying don't lift it, just saying it's a lot of money to throw around when you can't do much off-roading. A 2" leveling kit will do just that, bring the front end up 2" to level it with the rear end. A body lift will give you 3" higher overall in the front and rear.

Getting your exhaust loud means getting a new y-pipe and high flow catalytic converter along with a muffler (there's other ways to do it, but this is the right way).. Magnaflow makes good y-pipes and cats and the muffler is up to you. Look up videos on youtube or rams with flowmaster super 44s or cherry bombs or magnaflow mufflers and see what you like.

SCT tuner (from hemifevertuning.com) is a $265 tuner you plug into your OBD port and it basically "makes you go faster." You can search for threads about it, many people here have it.

Re-gearing the differentials is putting a different ring & pinion into the differential on the axle. It also makes it faster.. If you end up putting 35" tires you should re-gear so the big tires don't put stress on the tranny and make you lose power.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOu have 10 months, do this:

1. Look for 2001 4x4 off road editions to buy: I had a 1996 4x4 (non off road edition) and then I bought a 2001 5 years later (and 2 deployments to iraq later).
2. Keep on these forums, read threads, ask questions and take your time searching for mods. It took me 2 years to get my valvecovers for less than 100 dollars on ebay. You would think the darn things are made of gold the way they keep their price.
3. Sell your truck when you get back and get a newer truck. I say that because I bet you will realize that your truck has MANY issues that any mods will just make worse.

I had 155K on my 1006 before I junked it, and then I bought the 2001 in 2008 with 42K miles and BONE STOCK. Got it for 10K and it still had 2 years on the extended warranty the Prev Owner had. He also had all documentation for the truck (maintenance and original window sticker). The guy paid 44K for his truck in 2001!!!!

Take your time and don;t start buying any parts!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
jwfRAM

@Matt Nickerson
With the sct tuner you were talking about i went onto to that website and checked them out and i think this is the one you were talking about? http://www.hemifevertuning.com/Produ...ctCode=SCT-Can

where does this hook up on the truck and do you need any speacial software on a comptuer to hook it into or is it all pre-programmed in and you simply select one of their pre-tuned versions? also is there any real difference you see in throttle response time, speed or MPG?

@CPTAFW163
i appritiate the insight if i can find a deal like you did i would most likely end up that route, reason im doing this is because im trying to stay out of car payments again, already paying one on my wifes car >_> but if i find a deal like that ill deff look into it

Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also have the goodyear wrangler duratracs that jackl posted about. i have about 15k on mine, and they are just now getting to about 1/2 tread. mine cost me 868 and change, in jan 2010

Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by jwfRAM
how much did your set of wrangers run you if you dont mind me asking?
I got them at the exchange during a sale for $675 or there about. Out in town I was looking at around $950 or so.

You can have tjr exchange order just about anything for you. Just gotta ask.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Yeah, that's the right one. It plugs right into the obd port below the steering wheel/above the pedals on the floor. You just plug it in and select a tune. It increases throttle response among other things. It also brings up your mpg, however, the increased acceleration will make you wanna go fast which means less mpg.

I don't have the tuner myself, just speaking from other users' experience.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 PM
JackJ
Captain

Name:  2012-04-07150853.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  119.8 KB

These are my tires after a year and about 8k miles.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Bigblackdodge99 q

Hi, I'm new to this but not to modding my 99 ram 1500 5.2 5 speed... Contrary to popular belief you can run 35's with no lift. All I did was a little sledge work to the back of my front wheel wells. It might sound nasty but its not bad, as far as the claim that the stock intake is good, that is bs, the plastic beaks constantly, within 3 years I had to replace it twice and then I had to rebuild the engine due to dirt getting in it. I put a k&n cai on out and I love it. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents, and thank you for your service sir!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 AM
jwfRAM

im looking into some JBA headers how hard are they to install or would it be better to have a professional do it?

@bigblackdodge99 thanks man that means a lot, how hard was your CAI to install?