2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

little help with driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 PM
musclecarguy91
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little help with driving lights

I was thinking about getting hella driving lights or off road lights. I really don't know much about them. I wanted to get them cause i figured it would give me more light for driving at night. Can anyone fill me in with a little more information about them? How well they work, are they worth the money etc..
Thank You

Old 04-06-2012, 10:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Officer friendly goes thru a transformation if you use off-road lights on the road.... he instantly becomes officer UN-friendly. Don't go there......

What kind of shape are your current headlights in? These guys are notorious for yellowing out, REAL bad.....

Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 AM
musclecarguy91
Amateur

I just replaced both headlight assemblies so they are clear. I just wanted a little extra light. I like how much light you get from HID's but to get the whole assembly with them, it's a little too much.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:38 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've have some WalMart cheapo 55w lights mounted on the top of my bumper in front of the grill for some extra light at night or early morning, I originally had square one's and got a couple of flash's, switched to round chromey looking one's, plenty of extra light, better then my low's actually, and have passed a few cops and have not been pulled over and have not been flashed yet.

AutoZone has some really nice metal housing 100w round off road light's I'd like to get, but they are a little big and not sure if they'll clear the grill in the current hole's I have.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM
musclecarguy91
Amateur

I have a grill guard thing that covers the whole front and i believe there are holes in it to put two lights on the front. I just like being able to see at night. I mean if i get pulled over for them, I get pulled over. It wouldn't stop me from taking them off, hiding them more maybe.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can't hide lights when they are on..... at least, not without defeating the purpose of having them in the first place.... Also, I believe that most states restrict lights to 55 watts.... the 100W off-road lights probably have a warning in there Not for street use..... or something to that affect.

A couple of well aimed driving lights though... sounds like just the ticket.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can't hide lights when they are on..... at least, not without defeating the purpose of having them in the first place.... Also, I believe that most states restrict lights to 55 watts.... the 100W off-road lights probably have a warning in there Not for street use..... or something to that affect.

A couple of well aimed driving lights though... sounds like just the ticket.
I think it's equally illegal but if I wired my headlights so my low's and bright's were on at the same time (when I had bright's on) I'd be set, plenty of light then..... Would still be lacking when I had to have low's on.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think there are any laws against having the lows on as well as the brights...... I know a lot of folks like to set theirs up that way. (me being one of them....) I think that what was more a factor was the wiring couldn't handle the load? Or some such.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think there are any laws against having the lows on as well as the brights...... I know a lot of folks like to set theirs up that way. (me being one of them....) I think that what was more a factor was the wiring couldn't handle the load? Or some such.
Well then I'm gonna have to look into this...

Old 04-07-2012, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

somewhere back in time...... someone posted a schematic for doing just such a thing, with relays and such, just used the headlight switch to control the relays...... might wanna try and find that.

One of the reasons for the above is, having the lights powered directly from that battery, and grounded nearby, ALSO has the side affect of making the lights brighter.

Quick Reply: little help with driving lights