2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wipers sort of delay...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
elevated81
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my ram has the same issue, i replaced the multi function switch and that wasnt it, so dont spend the money like i did :-P try something else first.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 AM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by elevated81
my ram has the same issue, i replaced the multi function switch and that wasnt it, so dont spend the money like i did :-P try something else first.
That's good advice. Wont lie, was looking at the cost of the switch on ebay a few days back before I started hunting the forum for others with the same/similar problems. Problem hunting begins today!

I do have tilt steering. I'm going to start with HeyYou and zman's suggestions of places to check, and test out vaughn's suggestions too. Will get back to everyone later today.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^test the park circuit wire at the wiper motor, under the plastic cowl.
tilt wiper arm all the way up (very important).
slide the release catch about 1/16 inch
lift wiper arm off stud.
remove plastic clips holding down cowl, looks like hex nuts, but not.
see wiper motor...

test for 12v on low speed wire.
test for 12v on high speed wire.
test ground.
test for 12v on park circuit when ignition is on.
(if all this is correct, its a waste of time to go into the column)

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM
InfO
Veteran

Not like this is a hard project or anything, but I figured I'd take pictures as I went along of stuff... Hell, I've never seen any of these parts before so what the heck, right?

And nope, not done yet, but it's lunch time and the GF came home so we're gonna sit down for a sandwich and to be honest, I'm waiting on a response from Vaughan on something anyways ;o)

- The little L shape is the catch that has to be moved with the wiper arm pulled up. It doesn't have to be all the way up, just off the window enough.

- The wiper arm is pulled off - just keep the arm bent up, the lack pressed, and wiggle wiggle wiggle (I feel a song coming on...).

- There is one of the retaining pieces that hold the cowl on. They have a hex insert, but they just pull right off.

- Pull that off certainly makes it easier to lift the cowl.

After this picture I taped the cowl to the underside of the hood to hold it up. Made working in there easier. I guess if you wanted to disconnect the washer tubes then you could take it right off.

- Wires... The blue thing is just my finger!

- I ended up undoing the 4 bolts that hold the washer motor down so I can access the wires. May not be necessary, but considering I could soon to replacing this unit, no harm done.

- Additional side perk... seeing the rust on these has been driving me nuts _ALL_ winter. So... sanded them down and put on some new paint.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM
InfO
Veteran

Some more...

- Nice dirty connectors...

- Newly painted wiper arms!

And the data I pulled using the multimeter (which, btw, I had no bloody clue how to really use since I've never used one!)

Wash Off
Low - 0.04
Park - 11.36
Green - 0.04
Hi - 0

Wash Low
Low - 11.35
Park - 11.36
Green - 0.04
Hi - 0

Wash Hi
Low - 0
Park - 11.35
Green - 0.04
Hi - 11.33

Wash Delay
Low - 0.04 -> 11.32
Park - 11.32 - 11.31
Green - 0.04 - 0.05
Hi - 0

During the delay, I can hear what I believe to be a relay clicking in the fuse box in relation to the particular delay setting - so it clicks faster or slower depending on where the selector is turned to.

Edit: Forgot, Ground - 11.76

So... My thought process is I need a new wiper motor, correct?

Inf O.

Last edited by InfO; 04-13-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Clean the nasty connections before you go with a new motor. And btw, nice job fixing up the old wiper arms.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Clean the nasty connections before you go with a new motor. And btw, nice job fixing up the old wiper arms.
zman, it's funny you mention that. I did a quick few phone calls to prep myself for whatever Canadian markup there would be... And after I got all the prices, I decided to go back and give those connections a good cleaning. Oddly... I have no electrical contact cleaner, so I did the next best thing... a few toothpicks, an old toothbrush and some elbow grease. Just cleaned them up, plugged the connector back in and decided to give it a try. Though it isn't all bolted back on, the motor is continually engaging while on the various delay speeds, and it has continually returned to ONE spot... VERY possible she might be fixed!

I'm going to bolt the motor back on and give it a try.

Inf O.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Let's hope it works and saves some money.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:41 PM
InfO
Veteran

Unfortunately...... no joy. Got it all back together, even the good lookin' wiper arms, only to have it chatter and come to a grinding stop. I'm wondering if the motor is just weak, little bit of resistance and it shuts down. Either way, gonna swing out and get a new motor. Won't take long to swap them.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM
elevated81
Amateur

had my hopes up for a cheap fix! :P well im sure the new motor will fix it then, ive been told by a few people its the motor.

Last edited by elevated81; 04-13-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Wipers sort of delay...