2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wipers sort of delay...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:58 PM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, new motor purchased. Looking at the old motor and linkage... before I really dig into this and hopefully not break anything, for those that have replaced their motors how do you remove the motor from the linkage? Is the top black cap just popped on there?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

They don't talk about that at all in the manual, can you post a pic?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just got home...
ok, so the voltage on the low, high, and park seem right. and since its a common ground, its probably ok since your high and low speeds are working.

no personal experience on separating the motor, but it should just unbolt at the flange. i see what looks like 2 short bolts on yours.

^on your post above, you recorded a ground reading of 11.76 something's not right there. the ground should have continuity to the truck frame. it might have to be bolted in to achieve ground. on your other wires, you would have probed the red lead of the multimeter to the wire in question, and probed the black lead of the multimeter to a ground location. this is correct. but if you probe red to ground and black to ground it should read zero.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 PM
InfO
Veteran

HeyYou,

No mention of it what so ever in the manual... it's kind of odd. I took pictures of the new one and I have pictures of the old one - I'll toss them up tomorrow when I get back from SCUBA diving.

It's actually really weird... I mean, I can see the 3 bolts holding the motor to the bracket; however, the linkage itself seems weird. I think it's all fit with snap caps or something. Hopefully one of those people that said they've replaced the motor, or had a friend that has, can chime in on how it was done.

Vaughan,

I can put the old system back on and check the ground again. Perhaps I just did it wrong... first time really ever using the multimeter.

Inf O.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you post a pic of the new motor and the old motor w/linkage ?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC, leave the linkage on the motor. Remove the arms(linkgage) near the wiper pivots, and remove as a unit. Once out, you can take the linkage off the motor. At least on a 98.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM
InfO
Veteran

Just got home from a good day of diving! Now for a good day of fixing the wiper motor!

Here are some pictures...

- New Wiper Motor

- Old Wiper Motor on linkage

- Driver side

- Another view

- Yet another view

- Passenger side

I _think_ it might just snap off based on how it looks... The "caps" if you will _DO_ have two flat sides. I took a pair of plyers and gently tried turning, but that just chewed into the plastic. Thoughts?

Old 04-14-2012, 04:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, they just pop off. Lube 'em up good with some white lithium grease before you put it back together.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM
InfO
Veteran

No go, HeyYou, I couldn't get those bastards to pop. Not even budge.

But I still fixed it... I simply swapped the arms. I marked both arms and the motors, then swapped the parts. Installed. And she moves nicely now! Probably not the way it was MEANT to be done, but I went about it anyways.

Towards the end of the summer I plan to install a heater system into the windshield washer (saw it on LMCTrucks), so when I go back under there I'll take another look and lube it all up.

Thanks for all the help and input!!! Really appreciate it. I hope this thread can be of use to others with all the pictures and info put together! Maybe it should go into a DIY or FAQ section so it pops up first on searched? Who knows.

InfO.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Put it together in a DIY, and I will copy it over.

Quick Reply: Wipers sort of delay...