2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harmonic Balancer marks unreadable, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
ThomasC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha, found the answer in a Chrysler Tech Bulletin (and in various quotes from it across the internet):

"The V8 mark is 17.5° after TDC and the V6 mark is 147° after TDC" (and TDC is indeed the big notch)

So now all I gotta do is measure the circumference (c) of the damper and calculate:
147/360 * c
which will give me the distance in inches from the TDC mark (measured left from the mark, as shown in the picture from the scan).

Let's hope this is right...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Looks right to me.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM
ThomasC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case someone needs this again: The diameter is 23in and the V6 mark therefore is 9.4in to the left of the big notch.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am looking at the 01 service manual...... and NOT finding a section that talks about rockers at all. For the lifters, they just say drop 'em in, and the arrow on the yokes point toward the cam...... for the rockers, they just say tighten the bolts to 21ft/lbs......

Do you already have the timing chain/gears in place? Cover on? etc??

There aren't any arrows on the yokes, but the oil holes on lifters point towards the cam.

To find TDC, pull the spark plug in #1 , stuff a ball of kleene in the hole and slowly hand rotate the motor until the kleenex pops out. Both valves will be closed, which is the TDC you want, there is another one 180º away, one valve is opening one closing, you want piston up, both valves closed.

Once you get it to that point, you might have better luck finding the mark on the damper

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer marks unreadable, what now?