2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Yeah, it is, I wish MonteC was around more.... I truly miss him.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
kevinp985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got the transmission rebuild, it was fairly straight forward. Installed it yesterday with a new TC and all was good on jack stands. Took it for a test drive and lost reverse. After pulling the pan I found out that the low/reverse band strut fell out. I put it back in and the same thing happened again. I'm assuming I'm either getting the band adjustment wrong or the strut in wrong. Can anyone offer some advice on how that band strut goes in?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Maybe not adjusting it properly? There are a couple other threads about trans problems, and I think there are some pics posted of the way it is supposed to go in.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a real PITA to get it in correctly. If you are not in the tiny a** notch when you adjust, it will try to engage one time, then fall out! Been there----

The trick is to put some tranny lube on a screwdriver to help hold and push it into place. I also forced some tranny lube into the notch on the arm. A man's fingers will just NOT fit into that time space. When you think you have it in, pull down on servo arm to try to lock in place and see if you are clamping the band when you do. Then hold it with some pressure while attempting to tighten nut for adjusting and snug it down, then torque. It took me about 4 attempts. Do not use regular axle grease....don't want that in the tranny.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, it is, I wish MonteC was around more.... I truly miss him.

I miss him around here also!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM
kevinp985

Well ive gotten it in there twice without transjel. I haven't tried using transjel yet but its in there enough that i can lift the arm with a screw driver and clamp the band. I can also air check the servo and it applies the band. My problem is for some reason when it's running and I put it in reverse it keeps shooting the strut out. I'm going to take it a a friend that builds trannys and see if he can figure it out. I will update this thread when I get the news back from him. Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
gdstock
Legend

The notch that it fits against is not very big. More like a milled edge to rest against. Just a little too loose lets it bounce out of place. Could have been designed a little better imho. Hopefully it is in there good and your friend can confirm it.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
kevinp985

Well I got the strut in. gdstock I agree it isn't a very good design. Anyways the smoking gun in the transmission that caused no gears was the torque converter. Apparently if the clutch is gone it can create excessive endplay that affects its ability to multiply torque.

Quick Reply: Need some transmission help