2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Runs Rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:19 PM
Dycrow27
|
Veteran

FIXED!!!! the connector was "bad" i took it apart and re seated the wires in it and this time when i plugged the connector back in it "SNAPPED" in for the first time ever. I have done this many times trying to fix it but it never did anything this time i took my time and made sure it was going together correctly. Cleared my code and it hasn't came back on and my gauge works also truck runs significantly better and i can tell....... Thank you alot

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I love the easy fixes. Here I was looking forward to you tearing into wiring harnesses.

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:27 PM
Dycrow27
|
Veteran

Yeah this was by far the easiest but the most complicated and time consuming one because of all the problems. Plus when i bought the wrong sensor at advacned auto installed it and when i took it back out i realized they sold me the wrong one it had 1 prong not 2 and they wont even take it back because it was installed even tho its their fault. Now i have a sensor worth nothing to me haha

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's probably the one for the gauge.

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:29 PM
Dycrow27
|
Veteran

yes it is you know the one that i don't have on my truck right? haha

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Well, you could always drill the hole for it.....

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:37 PM
Dycrow27
|
Veteran

Yeah next thing your gonna say is it would add 15hp like the 2 stickers i put on yesterday haha I guess ill just cut the connector off and add it to my brass pile.

Old 05-07-2012 | 03:40 PM
gdstock
Legend

From a generic website:

What does that mean?

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermistor screwed into a coolant passage in the cylinder head. Sensor resistance is high when coolant temperature is low and resistance drops when coolant temperature increases. The powertrain control module (PCM) provides a 5 volt reference and a ground to the sensor. The PCM monitors voltage drop to determine coolant temperature. If the ECT reads less than freezing temp. when engine has been running for more than a few minutes, the PCM determines a circuit fault and sets this code. Or if the PCM determines the sensor resistance is out of specs, this code is set.
Potential Symptoms

Symptoms of a P0118 could include:
  • <LI itxtNodeId="52" itxtHarvested="0">Very poor fueleconomy <LI itxtNodeId="51" itxtHarvested="0">A no start condition <LI itxtNodeId="50" itxtHarvested="0">Vehicle may start, but run very poorly, blowing black smoke, running very rough and misfiring
  • Illumination of MIL
Causes

A code P0118 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • <LI itxtNodeId="57" itxtHarvested="0">A bad connection at the sensor <LI itxtNodeId="56" itxtHarvested="0">An open in the ground circuit between the ECT sensor and the PCM <LI itxtNodeId="55" itxtHarvested="0">A short in the voltage feed between the sensor and the PCM <LI itxtNodeId="54" itxtHarvested="0">A bad PCM (less likely)
  • A bad temperature sensor (shorted internally)
Possible Solutions

First, if you have access to a scan tool, check the reading of the coolant sensor. Does it read a logical number? If so, the problem is likely intermittent. Perform a "wiggle" test by wiggling the connector and harness to the sensor while watching the reading on the scan tool. Watch for any drop-outs. Drop-outs would indicate a bad connection. If the scan tool reads an illogical temperature, check the resistance of the temperature sensor. If it is out of specs, replace it. If it is in specifications, unplug the sensor and, using a fused jumper wire, jumper the two terminals of the connector together. The temperature reading should now be maxed out to above 250 degrees F. If not, there is likely a problem with the ground circuit or voltage supply.
Check for 5 volts reference voltage at the connector. Also check for ground presence at the connector. If you do not have 5V ref. and/or ground continuity, check for these back at the PCM connector. If you have these at the PCM connector, then repair open or short between the PCM and the sensor. If you do not, remove the offending wire from the PCM and then check for proper voltage at the PCM pin. If it's present now, repair short on the circuit. If it isn't present after removing the wire and checking the pin, replace PCM
NOTE: Usually, P0118 is indicative of a bad temperature sensor, but doesn't rule out these other possibilities. If you're unsure of how to diagnose a PCM, do not attempt.
Other engine coolant engine light codes: P0115, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0119, P0125, P0128

Quick Reply: Truck Runs Rich