2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

D60 upgrade o"pinions" thoughts needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries. Keep us updated!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still learning/ reading: I've narrowed it down on some options.

Custom shackles: so I could use my stock hangers: 3" springs require a 3.5" ID for 3" springs, the stock1/2ton is 3"ID. I'm thinking if I get some custom shackles fabbed to allow me to use 3" springs...but are stock where they bolt to the hanger, then I don't have to cut the 3" spring perches off the D60 axle & I can use all 2500/3" stuff all the way through out. Plus I get the added strength for towing & BS of the 3" springs. ?Does anyone know if you can buy these anywhere?? can't find them online so far.

It's either that...or...cut the 3" perches off the axle & weld 2.5" perches on & use all the stock stuff & get 2.5"W custom springs yada yada yada. 6 in one hand 1/2doz in the other except for the wider 3" spring usage.

Have also been reading about swapping the ubolts around to gain better clearance below. Not sure on this one yet but it looks pretty doable.
Again thanks for everyones input.-N-

Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Any metal fab shop should be able to set you up with some 3" hangers without much drama...

Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM
trigger29
Amateur

That's what I'm thinking! Going to hit some 4wheel/ driveline shops down in phoenix tomorrow to get some more input. I really want Deaver springs in Cali, but it;s stupid to not check w/local shops here first.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trigger29
Still learning/ reading: I've narrowed it down on some options.

Custom shackles: so I could use my stock hangers: 3" springs require a 3.5" ID for 3" springs, the stock1/2ton is 3"ID. I'm thinking if I get some custom shackles fabbed to allow me to use 3" springs...but are stock where they bolt to the hanger, then I don't have to cut the 3" spring perches off the D60 axle & I can use all 2500/3" stuff all the way through out. Plus I get the added strength for towing & BS of the 3" springs. ?Does anyone know if you can buy these anywhere?? can't find them online so far.

It's either that...or...cut the 3" perches off the axle & weld 2.5" perches on & use all the stock stuff & get 2.5"W custom springs yada yada yada. 6 in one hand 1/2doz in the other except for the wider 3" spring usage.

Have also been reading about swapping the ubolts around to gain better clearance below. Not sure on this one yet but it looks pretty doable.
Again thanks for everyones input.-N-
How much lift are you intending and what will be the primary use of the rig? Will towing be a significant use (50%?) or trails (dirt/rocks)? Daily driver?

ruffstuffspecialties.com is a highly regarded source for brackets, tabs, shackles, etc.

Most ppl that have done the swap in the rear have just lopped off the perch and put new ones on to retain the 1500 2.5" leafs. This also allows the function of setting pinion angle properly when/if additional lift is added at the same time.

I'm not saying stick with the light duty leafs not knowing if towing will be a factor. In that case, going to the heavy duty springs will be more beneficial for that use.

As for ubolts, maybe just me, I'd get new ones of those. I know you are talking about just reversing their orientation and I can't comment on the amount of benefit to clearance on them.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Thumbs up right on....ramble

As far as towing goes: I don't have a set plan as to how much I will tow in the future. I plan to start building down there in 2 yrs or less..hopefully, & want the option to tow whatever I need building material wise. I know I could go the airbag route to supp the 1/2 ton springs, but not really down w/ that option for whatever reason, more junk below factor probably..I don't know. I just want the option of towing there, you know, who knows what the future will bring.

Lift: I'll call it 3", is what I'm looking for, that's about what I have up front on the other dodge. The spacer kit I have for the front is 2.5", that's what I'm gonna throw on until I get the truck down there & can swap everything over

Gonna check out ruffstuff now, tks 4 that.

I def here you on the perches & PINION ANGLE, this part of the game is what worries me more so. Trying to do most of the work myself if I do this. But def gonna have to alter the 2500 drive shaft, also if I do this, I'm gonna be getting the 241HDH xfer case & rough measured things yesterday, that xfer case is def longer, & the d60 is about an 1" longer+/- than the 9.25, so def have to shorten the DS to make it work.Found places in Phoenix that do driveline 4x stuff so will dbl check on the ubolt flip. I like that link that 2x1972 gave that has Jeff351's rear axle install w/ the ubolt flip. I wanna do that just because I bent 6 of the 8ubolt studs back there, catching them on crap. Def gonna go w/ new ubolts.

I'm no 4x4 expert hardcore type of person, but if there's something to get in trouble around, I'm usually not far from it,lol. The roads are so brutal where I'm at & even the paved roads have potholes the size of goats. It's like a full on slalom course when you hit paved roads, dodging frickin potholes & running off on the side of the road to "dodge" stuff. The bitch is driving at night or in the rain...& it really rains down there in season & hitting those pot holes at night that you can't see...= not good. I'm rambling again.

So yeah, I hear ya on everything, if I did keep the 2.5's & put new perches on, went w/ new soft ride springs, that's probably gonna help my ride quality factor down there on those rds. So have decisions to make either way. Thanks again for the input, checkin out ruffstuff now.-N-

Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Overkill is better than not having enough. All things considered....

GO WITH THE 3" SPRINGS!!!

You have to do fab work either way...

Okay I'm done now.

As long as you leave the perches where they are, your pinion angle will be correct.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
trigger29
Amateur
Thumbs down Nope swap's not happening

Again, first of all, thanks for all the input. Running around in Phoenix & talking w/ numerous businesses led me to this conclusion. For my situation, it's not worth the cost & hassle. It'd be different if I had the ability to do most of everything where I'm at..but I don't. The kicker for me was, after talking to one gentlemen yesterday that was super helpful, he said he needed the actual # off of the pinion on the side, which meant opening the cover on the D60, this would help guarantee what was inside of the D60(I prob should've done this the first time I saw the axle, duh). OK, called the guy w/ the D60 & he said nope. I could pay him first & then if it turned out not to have the LSD or whatever, we could reach an agreement to something else. I know the ID on the axle tubes & the tabs on the cover of the axle too, but I took this as a red flag/ bad vibe, & that kinda sealed the deal for me. In all fairness to the guy, maybe my calls to him got old, I don't know.

So. for the moment am going to do 4.56 front & rear & play the spacer lift game, afterwards, probably rearch & add a full leaf in the rear, to get rid of the aftermarket block. Bought Toyo MT's yesterday.

Now w/ saved cash, I can pipe on a PATC viper trans! Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Mountain Ram

You would be surprised how strong the 9.25 is anyway. I ran38" TSLs with a locker and 4.56 gears on my off road rig for years with no issues (front axle a different story). I put a 2500 D60 rear in (to match the front I swapped in) and busted an axle shaft the first time out...

I now have the rear converted to 35 spline shafts, spool 5.13 gears behind a transfer case doubler, sitting on 44" tires... It never ends...

Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

I wanna see pics.

Quick Reply: D60 upgrade o"pinions" thoughts needed