2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Racer26
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual trans problems

I have an 01 Ram 1500 with the NV3500 trans. Have about 107,000 miles on the truck.

I am having various problems with my transmission and am trying to pinpoint what the problem is before I take it to a shop.

Problems:
-When I shift into 1st, it will almost always bang into gear.
-I get grinding and grabbing when I shift from 1-2 and 2-3, and an even worse bang/grind if I try shifting while turning (shifting from 1-2 while hanging a left turn from a stop sign, etc).
-There is some difficulty moving from one gear to another, with the worst being when shifting from 2nd-3rd.

I have heard it could be everything from a slave cylinder, to the clutch, to the synchro, and I need some help diagnosing what it could be. I guess more so, how much I am going to have to spend on repairs....

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I would check clutch fluid level and condition first. You could also drain the tranny and check the plug/fluid for metal shavings..indicating things like bad shift forks, sinchros, etc.

I don't know much about tranny problems so hopefully someone else can help out.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Sounds like the trans may be low on fluid as well....

Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+ 1 on slave/master hydraulics. Check fluid level, if it's okay, leave a brick depressing the clutch overnight, see if that helps. With the cap and black rubber thing out of course.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Racer26
Rookie

Great idea for bleeding the clutch. I have it all set up, and hopefully it will help.
As for the fluid, I changed it about a month ago with Mopar fluid for the NV3500. Fortunately, there was little to no shavings on the plug magnet. I will recheck it tomorrow, and maybe even redrain and fill.
It took a little over 2 quarts until it started flowing back out. Is this enough, or should I force a little extra in?

I'm trying to think what could've caused this as the truck shifted nearly perfectly (or at least a lot smoother) until about a few months ago when I changed the fluid at the same time I did my ring and pinion.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Timing may just be coincidental. Grab a friend, have them step on the clutch, while you watch and see how much movement you get down at the trans. (if you can even see it....)

Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer26
It took a little over 2 quarts until it started flowing back out. Is this enough, or should I force a little extra in?
That's all it takes. But I always run 3 quarts in mine (filled through the shifter). My tranny has 215k on it.

I'm leaning towards clutch hydraulics since it seems to do it in multiple gears.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, when you do try to bleed it, after it has sat depressed () all night, tap the lines to loosen any possibly stuck bubbles before releasing the clutch.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Racer26
Rookie

Alright, so I let the clutch sit depressed for a good 12-14 hours, and then I took it out for a drive. It seemed a lot smoother compared to before. There was still a slight grinding type feel when shifting to 2nd, but it was better all around.

However, after driving a little while, it felt like the truck went back to how it was before. I have been noticing a trend though. The grinding and shift problems seem to occur after the clutch is repeatedly used in a short period (stop and go traffic, navigating a parking lot, etc.)

What does this point to? The slave cylinder? From what I understand, there isn't a bleed screw on these transmissions? Does the pressure plate need to be replaced?

As always, I thank everyone greatly for the help.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you can, inspect your clutch, and see how much is left. (how many miles on the current clutch??)

Possible that hydraulic system is failing, allowing pressure to bleed past the seals on one of the cylinders, see any leaks at all?

Quick Reply: Manual trans problems