2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Aftermarket head unit problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket head unit problems.

hey im back again. got rid of the sky high dodge and got me a cummins no more plenum leaks, low power, clogged cats, bad trannys(i hope), limited aftermarket support, bad gas mileage, etc.

anyways, im installing a new head unit. everything is wired up correctly, checked 40 times, the unit comes on but no sound comes from the speakers. i no its not the head unit thats bad i have 2 and both did the same thing. i have power always, acc power and all the speaker hooked up. i habe 3 wires from the truck left over, dimmer antenna(i think), and a wires that no diagram that i can find has on it, the wires is yellow and brown. any ideas?

need to change sig, sorry, 1999 2500

Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did the truck have the infinity sound system. and if so you need to connect power to the amps on the door speakers.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

i dont think so. the original head unit is from dolby

Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Dolby is just a noise cancelling method. They don't make stereos.

Gotta pic?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
did the truck have the infinity sound system. and if so you need to connect power to the amps on the door speakers.
I was going to say the exact same thing.... I'm willing to bet thats the issue... the infinity system may very well have used sa factory brand stereo since infinity specializes in speakers...
but if you do have the system you'll need to remove or bypass the wires to and from the amps at each speaker and likely replace the speakers... you can use the factory amps but you'll get the exact same sound quality (or worse) as the original stereo had...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-15-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
billcart
Professional

On mine there is a blue wire that needs to be hooked up to the decks power annt/amp. I am sure yours is the same. I do have the Infinity speakers. I ran into that problem as well. My deck worked with AM/FM but didn't work with CD, USB or anything else. Look back there and see or pull off one door panel and look at the speaker. I couldn't tell by the factory radio, also get the service manual and check the wiring diargram to make sure that you wired it up correctly. The yellow and brown wire I am not sure of. I bought the wire harness adapter for mine and made it easy. If you already cut and spliced trying to match color to color from the deck to your factory wires you could have shorted out the deck. I do not think that the wires are the same colors. Also GROUND GROUND GROUND GROUND!!!!!!! I didn't ground my first aftermarket unit and after 1 year it shorted out while I was 4x4ing. That really sucked. When I replaced that one I did the same stupid mistake and that unit shorted out after 2 years. The one I have now is grounded!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

ok. i have the ifinity speakers. i didnt have the remote amp wire from the head unit hooked up. i got that all figured out and it plays. now the drivers door and a pillar speakers wont play music, everything else will. i have power at the speaker and the rear speaker works, any ideas??

Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the front speaker amps are some kind of amp/cross-over thing that takes the front speaker signal wires and splits them via cross-over to send the bass/mid-range to the 6x9 in the door and the high freq to the tweeters in the pillar.

so if you don't power the amps/cross-over correctly, the cross-over doesn't work and it does nothing....

Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the wiring diagram in FSM to verify it is all wired correctly - or maybe should say - so you can get it all wired correctly...

Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM
sk8erdude
Veteran

everything is wired up as it came from the factory. could the amp possibly not be working?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit problems.